Hello from Winnipeg

Complete newbie.
Have been fascinated by machines for far too long.
gluing and shaping metal.

Few questions for any other Manitobans.
Where in Winnipeg is good for Metals scrap, Steel/Aluminum in small sizes at reasonable prices, and a machine shop for things I can't do yet?

I have it in my head to build a tiny hobby machine shop of my own over whatever years I have left.
Starting from pretty much nothing but an angle grinder.

Bandit

Super User
Welcome from south of Calgary. Wow, you have an angle grinder to start out!!! I think I had a rusty file and some scrap, oh and a leg vise.

Thanks for the greetings. Sent out a couple of requests for price for some 1/2 steel plate today. Owww. They certainly saw me coming. It's pretty clear that I will be spending most of my time going to scrappers, kijiji and facebook. For you twice the price and bring your own forklift.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Welcome from the Transcona part of Winnipeg!

Like you I’m just starting out and finding metal has been a learning experience.

I have purchased structural steel from RNR Steel:
http://www.rnrsteel.ca/Products/products.html

Although I’ve never shopped there, I’ve heard from other forum members that small quantities of machinable metal can be purchased from New West metals:

I haven’t tried using scrap metal for machining following the advice that until I know how to machine, I should stick with known types of metal.

Finding supplies has been another learning experience, I’m happy to share what little I know via PM if you’d like.

Welcome from the Transcona part of Winnipeg!

Like you I’m just starting out and finding metal has been a learning experience.

I have purchased structural steel from RNR Steel:
http://www.rnrsteel.ca/Products/products.html

Although I’ve never shopped there, I’ve heard from other forum members that small quantities of machinable metal can be purchased from New West metals:

I haven’t tried using scrap metal for machining following the advice that until I know how to machine, I should stick with known types of metal.

Finding supplies has been another learning experience, I’m happy to share what little I know via PM if you’d like.
Thanks a lot.

Complete newbie.
Have been fascinated by machines for far too long.
gluing and shaping metal.

Few questions for any other Manitobans.
Where in Winnipeg is good for Metals scrap, Steel/Aluminum in small sizes at reasonable prices, and a machine shop for things I can't do yet?

I have it in my head to build a tiny hobby machine shop of my own over whatever years I have left.
Starting from pretty much nothing but an angle grinder.
Welcome from Lillooet BC..... If having a small machine shop is your goal, I suggest building a bigger shop now before lumber goes up again....'cause these things tend to snowball pretty quickly....... It's amazing how long one gets by with just a stone hammer, and then, along comes a lathe, the gateway drug of the machine tool world, the next thing you know you are in the dark underground, trying to finagle some old rusty and crusty chunk of cast iron out a dank musty corner of a long abandoned machine shop..... Old iron disease should not be taken lightly, once it's in your blood, they say it never goes away. When in doubt, call one of us more experienced guys and we'll be sure to safely remove the hazard for you....:p

Welcome from Lillooet BC..... If having a small machine shop is your goal, I suggest building a bigger shop now before lumber goes up again....'cause these things tend to snowball pretty quickly....... It's amazing how long one gets by with just a stone hammer, and then, along comes a lathe, the gateway drug of the machine tool world, the next thing you know you are in the dark underground, trying to finagle some old rusty and crusty chunk of cast iron out a dank musty corner of a long abandoned machine shop..... Old iron disease should not be taken lightly, once it's in your blood, they say it never goes away. When in doubt, call one of us more experienced guys and we'll be sure to safely remove the hazard for you....:p
Old Iron is the best kind happily/sadly I have limited space and Swmbo will not let me build a fabrication shop in the basement. All I want is a small mill and lathe, and a surface grinder and a fixture table and a welder and a compressor, automation, tooling, measurement, surface plate,..... I will need a second job and possibly a second wife to actually make this work.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Old Iron is the best kind happily/sadly I have limited space and Swmbo will not let me build a fabrication shop in the basement.

When our pup barks too much, SWMBO tells doggo to go to her bed. When I bark too much, I get told to go to the basement and chop up metal. A basement fabrication shop should be considered a cornerstone of a stable marriage.

Old Iron is the best kind happily/sadly I have limited space and Swmbo will not let me build a fabrication shop in the basement. All I want is a small mill and lathe, and a surface grinder and a fixture table and a welder and a compressor, automation, tooling, measurement, surface plate,..... I will need a second job and possibly a second wife to actually make this work.
Hmmmm. Winterpeg, don't tornadoes and such roll through that part of the world from time to time? I'd think a little cast iron anchoring down the corners of the foundation might be a responsible thing to consider.......
Here in the mountains where it's mudslides and such that are likely to take us out, so I have anchored the one corner (and a little bit of the other half) of the downstairs with a pair of shapers, a couple lathes (perhaps a few is a more correct term), a pair of mills, horizontal and vertical, as well as a few different types of tool and cutter grinders, etc. This may also explain the wobble in the Earth's axis as of late.... Sorry about that. :rolleyes:
As a first tool, a lathe will get you out of the dog house more often than anything else, due to the versatility. A custom set of brass and stainless knobs for the bathroom vanity early on shows them the practical side of things. In my case it was an aluminum fitting that got the dishwasher going on a Sunday evening....... Manipulate my friend manipulate.......:p
The second wife only looks good on paper, trust me, it's an expensive mistake.......:eek:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think a second husband will help pay for equipment and build the second garage.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think a second husband will help pay for equipment and build the second garage.

That is possible, but the stats don't support that at all. Only a minority of machinists are looking for a second husband...... I think the only way to make that happen is to look for a money trail the 2nd time and forget the traditional bait.