• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Wasaga Beach, Ontario.

I’m looking for information on a Standard Modern 10” Metric utilathe. I would like to be able to cut imperial threads also and I believe I need a 127 tooth change gear although I’m uncertain if I have enough space to accommodate this gear. 16DP, 14 1/2. I’m hoping somebody may have the same machine and can steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey there @Standard Modern 10” : I have the imperial version of that lathe and have pretty much rebuilt/remade a significant portion of it. A 127 tooth 16DP is going to be just over 8 inches in diameter - that will be pretty big!

My "plan" for adding change gears to my lathe to cut metric threads would be to reduce the 127 tooth gear using a 20 or 22 DP cutter for the gear and effectively reduce it to under 6 inches in diameter. I have the plans for most of the build to convert an imperial lathe to metric but have not explored the other way as I have no data on the "metric" version.

Questions:

Is the lead screw metric?
What are the gears driving the current quick change gear box? The imperial version is: 48 Teeth to 83 Teeth to 48 teeth the lead screw is 8 TPI

In order for me to change up the threading I need to make the 127 tooth gear (will first need to make a 127 hole diving plate for my rotary table) and then make some idler gears to change the 22DP gear back into the current arrangement - further tooth comparisons are leading me to believe the gears are 20 degree PA and not 14.5 PA ...alas...but ....not an issue if I remake them all to the 14.5 PA

If you have some pictures of the lathe and the arrangement of the drive gears that would be great. I have a few things done up in ACad for making an idler bracket etc

Oh yes - I am just North of Barrie so not that far :)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Hey there @Standard Modern 10” : I have the imperial version of that lathe and have pretty much rebuilt/remade a significant portion of it. A 127 tooth 16DP is going to be just over 8 inches in diameter - that will be pretty big!

My "plan" for adding change gears to my lathe to cut metric threads would be to reduce the 127 tooth gear using a 20 or 22 DP cutter for the gear and effectively reduce it to under 6 inches in diameter. I have the plans for most of the build to convert an imperial lathe to metric but have not explored the other way as I have no data on the "metric" version.

Questions:

What are the gears driving the current quick change gear box? The imperial version is: 48 Teeth to 83 Teeth to 48 teeth the lead screw is 8 TPI

In order for me to change up the threading I need to make the 127 tooth gear (will first need to make a 127 hole diving plate for my rotary table) and then make some idler gears to change the 22DP gear back into the current arrangement - further tooth comparisons are leading me to believe the gears are 20 degree PA and not 14.5 PA ...alas...but ....not an issue if I remake them all to the 14.5 PA

If you have some pictures of the lathe and the arrangement of the drive gears that would be great. I have a few things done up in ACad for making an idler bracket etc

Why don’t you just use HIS lathe for metric stuff? Then let him use YOUR lathe for imperial stuff? :D

Questions:

Awesome to hear from you. My headstock has the same gears. My lead screw is .875 dia. and the pitch is 4 mm. I have to check my gearbox gears for tooth count. I do have a standard gearbox also to compare to. I’ve been thinking of swapping them out but engaging and disengaging the lead screw could be a problem sometimes . I’m at work right now. Chat again I hope.
Rob

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My SM 1340 is metric. I have added the imperial threading capability using 24DP gears. Depending on what your metric QCGB looks like (ie. the same as the one on the 1340), I have a table with gears you need and the setting on the QCGB to get the various TPI threads.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You're going to regret that handle eventually LOL. Had a mod shorten mine.

Welcome from Calgary.

My SM 1340 is metric. I have added the imperial threading capability using 24DP gears. Depending on what your metric QCGB looks like (ie. the same as the one on the 1340), I have a table with gears you need and the setting on the QCGB to get the various TPI threads.
Hello. I believe my gearbox is smaller than the 1340 but it’s possible that it might have the same gears. I need to take it off the machine to view them easily but I have a few projects to finish before I do this. I’ve seen the chart for standard to metric but not the metric to standard. That is something I could probably use in the future if I can figure out what will work in my headstock. I thank-you for any kind of help you can give me. Have a great day.

MW/MC

I’m looking for information on a Standard Modern 10” Metric utilathe. I would like to be able to cut imperial threads also and I believe I need a 127 tooth change gear although I’m uncertain if I have enough space to accommodate this gear. 16DP, 14 1/2. I’m hoping somebody may have the same machine and can steer me in the right direction. Thanks.
Hello it’s off topic but I used to go to a trailer park for lots of the summer in wasaga beach when I was a we lad
It was called cedergrove is it still there ??
welcome to the forum !!