• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from Victoria

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Welcome from the mighty metropolis of Sooke, lots of knowledge and a wide variety of interests here. You should be able to find something for your entertainment.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Welcome from Winnipeg. Sounds like your 7x7 shed is well set up to have huge amounts of fun in!!!

I’m a beginner at almost the age of 56, hope to become an amateur before I retire.

DaveMc

Welcome aboard don't ever allow age to hold you back, this old codger is 84 and no where near ready to give up. LOL
You are my inspiration here so far Dusty. Apparently you still have all your marbles and all I want to do is hang onto mine the way
you are doing it. I have another lifetime of projects to finish.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
About 40 years ago I explained to my wife that buying a lathe would start me towards my goal of becoming one of those insane elderly Englishmen who whittle steam engines from blocks of steel. Sadly, I will never qualify as an Englishman but I’m well on my way for some of the other requirements. Have fun and send us photos!

DaveMc

Welcome from Winnipeg. Sounds like your 7x7 shed is well set up to have huge amounts of fun in!!!

I’m a beginner at almost the age of 56, hope to become an amateur before I retire.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the welcome, and the observation. It is never about the size, is it.
]
I grew up in Red Lake, spent a lot of time in Winnipeg. Hot and cold as I clearly recall.

Little piece of advice you may not appreciate until too late. Don't retire. Ever.

DaveMc

Welcome from SK.
Thanks Lee
I have fond memories of a small town not that far from Regina. Glen Ewen lost its elevators and its soul a number of years ago.
There were summers in a cottage on Carlyle Lake I will never forget. Army cadet camp at Dundurn, many visits to Saskatoon.
Relatives with farms in Swift Current. I loved Saskatchewan despite never having lived there.

DaveMc

About 40 years ago I explained to my wife that buying a lathe would start me towards my goal of becoming one of those insane elderly Englishmen who whittle steam engines from blocks of steel. Sadly, I will never qualify as an Englishman but I’m well on my way for some of the other requirements. Have fun and send us photos!
Funny what some things can do to your inclinations. I did some work many years ago milling and turning aluminum for a small company in scientific research. A real machinist gave me some basics that were way over my head but I did get just enough to whet my appetite. Much later, when I got
my own little shop and the same Taig micro mill and lathe, I tried machining some steel. The first time I polished a piece of my own work to a mirror
finish and thermal blued it with a torch it hit me like a hammer. All I want to do is make more shiny objects and see what kind of finish I can coax out of the metal. I also love making set ups for my little revolvers. It takes me forever, but I am my own boss at this, and a very patient one.