• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Toronto

denys

Dear fellows,

My name is Denys and I currently reside in Toronto, Ontario. I am heavily involved in machining different little toys from metals such as Stainless, Aluminium, Titanium and Coppers. Right now, I would like to machine rings in rather larger quantities and I am looking for someone who can help me with that. I did a lot of research and called a lot of shops around Greater Toronto Area to see if people are interested in helping me machine different rings for fingers.

I hope I can find someone local here, although as I understand most people are from the Calgary area.

Thanks for accepting me into this community,

Best,

Denys

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome. A few years back I decided to turn a few rings ring for my wife as Xmas presents. They were made from stainless steel & I probably had 2 hours into a pair just doing the bore, OD & finishing. One of them I left the center band slightly raised & then did some texturing with a rough belt grinder, that looked pretty cool. The other I drilled some decorative dimples with a ball end mill using indexer. It looked remarkably like a bearing race LOL. Anyways my personal take-way is they can quite time consuming, at least on manual hobby machines.

If I was in your position desiring quantity, I would consider outsourcing to CNC, especially in Asia. Just for kicks I sent some CAD files to a few Alibaba/Ebay type shops, specified the material & quantity like ~25. I was quite surprised the price was reasonable given the complexity. I didn't pursue it because another individual introduced a similar gadget, but that concept stuck in my brain. I've had other ideas but usually they are bigger, therefore heavier & shipping gets expensive. But rings are very low shipping weight. I cant guide you to a specific site because this was a while back & they tend to change. There may be some tricksters out there too but I would think some hungry shops that would like to keep the machines humming.

After a few posts you can upload pics. I'd like to see more of what you are making.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
And another welcome from Vancouver Island [emoji267]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent H

Ultra Member
Welcome from about 1 hour North of you on all week days but Friday - then it can take hours to go North and same deal on Sunday going South!

denys

Hello everyone. Thanks for inviting into community.

@PeterT Thanks for such insightful story. I could get it done in China, that isn't a problem, you are correct. Alibaba and Aliexpress do it rather straightforward to work with China. Personally, I dont want to do it, mainly because I rather support Canada and local CNC shops. Secondly, since I want to work with rather unique materials like timascus, stainless damascus, etc - I would rather do it locally.

@Brent H - if you have time, please give me a call 647-975-1692. I do sometimes go up north to Concord area, so can drop by when free to discuss couple items.