• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from rural Sask

evranch

Hi everyone, rancher and electrician from SK here. Winder electrician actually, which is a sort of millwright/electrician combination. Used to do plenty of machining when working in the trade, now I'm out on the farm and trying to get my shop fixed up and built up. Right now I mostly weld, grind and torch heavy stuff to keep the farm running.

My shop is a tin can Quonset with a gravel floor so I'm currently trying to get some drip shielding mounted on the roof so I can put a lathe and mill in without them being ruined by condensate. Initial tests in a small area are working well and diverting the condensate down the side wall. Things don't tend to rust in this climate unless directly rained upon. Also looking to get a small propane forge going if anyone knows where to get refractory materials in SK!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Welcome from an former resident ! I’d still be there if there had been jobs in the early 90s

Where about you situated ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Welcome. Love it when farmers and ranchers have the time to join us in the hobby. You guys bring so much common sense and practicality to lots of things we overthink in the city. Long live Prairie Farm Report (especially the "Inventions" episodes).

And we really love our SK neighbours in Alberta. Especially at foorball games :)

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I love inventions from Prairie farm report. I have not seen one in a long time, do they still make them, does anyone know?

evranch

I'm around the Outlook area and raise sheep. Prairie farm report is fun to watch, also I have a big stack of the old Farm Show magazine that I got at an auction sale for a buck. These are fun to flip through and look for interesting ideas, and many of the articles are available on their website.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm just south and west of Outlook, go there regularly to bank. Lucky Lake is my area. No sheep though, just cows.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Ohh noo...a sheep herder and a cow puncher all in the same county...Might have to call John or Jimmy to referee this one.
There’s no way you’d get three people (with cell phones) in rural Saskatchewan on the same phone call at one time, you’d be lucky if one of them had cell service :D