• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Richmond, BC

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
new guy from BC. Almost retired, work as a salesman/specialty product designer for a stainless steel distributor. My home shop is a little of everything, main machines are a BB B2227 lathe, BB CT129 mill. Various other bits, CNC engraver, CNC printer on order. Mostly I make tooling and small stuff for my work. At work I have a big Bridgeport clone, a Modern 16x60 lathe, and the most glorious Monarch 62 lathe. Once I retire I won’t have access to the Monarch, so for now I’m researching machines to replace the B2227 and try to get something larger.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Keep us up to date on your lathe search...we all like to help spend other people's money!! ;)

Craig

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
And welcome from the Island.
Do you have an idea of what machines you're looking for? Honest,,,,, we do like to help spend others money, lol

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
lots of constraints. I live in a townhouse, my shop is the garage, so not a lot of space once you allow for bicycles, motorbike, etc. Want to stay with 120V supply. I don’t need anything much bigger than the B2227, but I‘d commit horrible sins if I could get a lathe that has:
Geared speed changes like the B2227
threading / feed with a gearbox
power cross feed
new with a warranty
D1-4 spindle
I‘ve looked at Busy Bee, King, Jet, Bolton, Bailiegh, Precision Matthews, DRO Pros, KBC, Grizzly and the best I can find is some combination of 4 out of 5. Grizzly used to bring in a 12x24 cut-down version of the generic 12x36, but they discontinued it. Charter Oak Automation also had a 12x24, but they’ve gone belly up.
If anyone knows of another option, I’m all ears

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
It’s from the same guy I bought a couple of other machines - the glorious Monarch 62, and a 54” Webster Bennet vertical axis lathe. The 10x30 is a bit bigger than I want to go, and it‘s 240v. It is a nice machine, I haven't completely ruled out this option.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Since you've bought from Lenmark previously they may swap the the motor to a 110v as part of the deal.
IIRC the lathe is a rebadged HERCUS 260 which is the Australian version of SB. I almost bought one a few years ago but wasn't quick enough on the phone.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
It’s from the same guy I bought a couple of other machines - the glorious Monarch 62, and a 54” Webster Bennet vertical axis lathe. The 10x30 is a bit bigger than I want to go, and it‘s 240v. It is a nice machine, I haven't completely ruled out this option.
The motor may be reconnect-able to 120v.