• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Peterborough Ontario

Chip Maker

Super User
Newbie to the forum. I recently stumbled across this site and decided to join up as I may be able to contribute and/or network with fellow hobbyists. I'm a retired tool and die maker with over forty years of varied metal industry experience. Two thirds of my career was spent in new tooling, building stamping dies. I apprenticed in a small production machine shop before moving to a precision aerospace machine shop. We contributed to both Canada Arms. I was in the trade early enough that cnc was just starting out. Lots of hands on work experience and form grinding before 3d machining or wirecutting was commonplace.

I currently have a Bridgeport knee mill as well as a Southbend 9 and just recently picked up a barn find Taiwan 10-24 lathe, which I'll make a post about with pictures in the near future as it is quite an interesting story and should be on American Pickers. I'm presently restoring a sixties muscle car that I've owned since I was a kid and the majority of my metal projects of late have been jigs and fixtures related to the car. It's funny how what I took for granted while working (free metal, cutters, inserts and fasteners) is now pricey and not as readily available logistically.

Cheers

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome to the forum. We love pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

francist

Super User
Hey Chip Maker, that’s pretty cool. I remember when I saw the first arm up there with the big “Canada” on the side. Boy, what a proud moment that was.

Welcome.

-frank

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Welcome from Calgary. Your experience will be a great asset to the forum.

P.S. We love pics :)

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Another islander (west coast) welcome. You had my attention at muscle car! My toy for many years was a 1965 Corvair with a mid mounted 327/325hp, that really surprised alot of the muscle cars;).

gerritv

Gerrit
I used to suprise muscle cars with my 1969 Alfa 1750GTV in the early 70's. High lift cams on an already well tuned performance engine. And I didn't have to slow for the corners :) (The car is still alive and well in the Bolton area somewhere)

Tom O

Ultra Member
58 Chevy 4 door for me. 327 offenhauser manifold with a holly 650 spreadbore, dual point dist, crane cam, racing clutch powering a 3 speed Muncie.