Hello from Petawawa

bushpilotmexico

Looking for someone who could make me a bushing from an oil hardening steel that has an OD of .312 , a length of .357 and a clean reamed ID of 3/16" any help would be appreciated.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome to this group of hobbyists.

If you reveal you general location (City or County) you are sure to find a member near you, who could turn some hardened bushing.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from South of Chatham.

Petawawa is North of Ottawa. There are a few members in the Ottawa area. You can search on Ottawa on the forum and then PM them.

bushpilotmexico

I really appreciate all your responses and yes years ago I did have a small lathe and milling machine but now at 82 years of age they are just a memory. If any one has some 3/8" drill rod, which if I remember is 01 tool steel, I would be more than satisfied if, without even reducing the OD, it could be chucked in the lathe and a 3/16" hole drilled center and then with a measured length of .356 3 or 4 pieces be cut off the rod. I was given a 115 year old Stevens .32 rimfire single shot rifle and the loading lever has a semi circular cut out in it designed to snap over the bushing and semi lock it in place, The bushing that came with the rifle was home made for sure and even the hole was drilled off center but to be honest it does measure around .346 so my original thought of .312 wouldn't work. If I had the full 3/8" diameter I can reduce the OD gradually until I get the perfect fit. I wouldn't need them heat treated as I can do that myself with the old heat to cherry red and oil quench. Also I'm not asking for a freebie I will pay what ever cost is involved plus postage for shipping to Petawawa Ontario.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You are only 5 years older than me. That's nothing at our age.

Thanks for that additional info. It helps me understand your needs better. I was picturing a bushing on the cable control line for the elevators of a bush plane in Mexico.....

I think your biggest issue is the need for a clean reamed 3/16 ID. I've been watching Kijiji and Marketplace for a reamer set for many years without success. I don't know about the guys in Ottawa.

I don't think distance is really an issue. Then again, that's a small bushing and it would be cheap to mail.

If you bought a guy the reamer and provided or paid for the steel, almost anyone on here could do it for you.