• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Hamilton

Rauce

Ultra Member
Hi! Found this place while looking up various options for new lathes.

I live in Hamilton and got into metalworking through cycling. I’ve always liked doing things myself and 6 or 7 years ago while working at a bike shop I decided I should just build my own frames. Machine tools aren’t required for that but they are handy so with the help of a machinist friend I got into machining as well.

After getting laid off at my old office job 3 years ago I decided to convert my metalworking hobby into a career and now I’m nearing the end of my Millwright apprenticeship.

Here is a picture of my current machines at home from just over a year ago. The Excello is fully reassembled and running now. The lathe is a Churchill Cub MkIII 13x24.

65C2E5B4-D1CA-4833-B5F2-3BC68028C9D7.jpeg

Rauce

Ultra Member
Welcome from East Hamilton! Love that Excello!
Thanks! I’m in the west end. This machine came from a machine shop just off Woodward Ave. Unfortunately it was in worse shape than I initially thought when I looked at it but I can live with it and I didn’t pay that much.

I had the motor rewound 240v, cleaned it up, shimmed the gibs and had to replace all three leadscrews and two of the leadscrew nuts. Luckily the head and spindle were mostly fine.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey, welcome from Ontario farm country south of Chatham.

Lots of really cool members in your neck of the woods!

Six O Two

(Marco)
Welcome from the interior of BC. I also have an excello, and also mostly got into it for framebuilding. Looks like you're a bit ahead of me though, I'm only on frame #2 at the moment... I keep on getting distracted by other projects....

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hi! Found this place while looking up various options for new lathes.

I live in Hamilton and got into metalworking through cycling. I’ve always liked doing things myself and 6 or 7 years ago while working at a bike shop I decided I should just build my own frames. Machine tools aren’t required for that but they are handy so with the help of a machinist friend I got into machining as well.

After getting laid off at my old office job 3 years ago I decided to convert my metalworking hobby into a career and now I’m nearing the end of my Millwright apprenticeship.

Here is a picture of my current machines at home from just over a year ago. The Excello is fully reassembled and running now. The lathe is a Churchill Cub MkIII 13x24.

View attachment 21538
Nice. I always wanted to find a way to turn my hobby into a revenue stream. Good for you. I once built a couple recumbent bike frames for a friend. It was lots of fun. Welcome.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Welcome from the interior of BC. I also have an excello, and also mostly got into it for framebuilding. Looks like you're a bit ahead of me though, I'm only on frame #2 at the moment... I keep on getting distracted by other projects....
I’m on #15 I think right now, some years I’ve done 1 or even none, and some years as many 4 or 5 depending on how busy I am otherwise.

Here’s the latest. I made this frame for myself, Tig welded 7005 aluminum tubing.

1FB0A103-CB1A-441C-8B4A-571545B9D265.jpeg

Six O Two

(Marco)
I’m on #15 I think right now, some years I’ve done 1 or even none, and some years as many 4 or 5 depending on how busy I am otherwise.

Here’s the latest. I made this frame for myself, Tig welded 7005 aluminum tubing.

View attachment 21541

Very cool! That bike looks great. I've had it in my mind that if I want to build some full suspension mtb bikes, I might want to start practicing aluminum tig welding. I noticed Senko in the top picture but didn't put 2 & 2 together. Pretty sure I've seen your posts on v-salon and on IG.

deleted_user

Super User
Very cool! That bike looks great. I've had it in my mind that if I want to build some full suspension mtb bikes, I might want to start practicing aluminum tig welding. I noticed Senko in the top picture but didn't put 2 & 2 together. Pretty sure I've seen your posts on v-salon and on IG.
you have to pay close attention, because this forum has some really interesting and skilled people lurking here. Rauce is the second person here I noticed has bike building skills I'd like to learn from

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
you have to pay close attention, because this forum has some really interesting and skilled people lurking here. Rauce is the second person here I noticed has bike building skills I'd like to learn from

Yes, we are all machinists. But beyond that we have a depth and breadth of skills, expertise, and experience that you just don't see in other hobby groups. I continue to be amazed and impressed.

deleted_user

Super User
Get in touch, a nice replica would be a cool project. I do more old school construction as well.

View attachment 21562
I will, because while I have many skills, welding is not something I excel at. I was going to braze the frame and use period looking lugs... because brazing is the welding technique I am best at...

I'm doing a build thread on the bike, but so far I'm not out of the design stages... I got sidelined with a shop move and machine acquisitions.

I have a pretty good idea of the original geometry, and the front and rear spring suspensions... but I stopped designing while I ponder to what extent I wish to vary from the original and what type of split rear I want to design to change belts... I'm having the motor drive on the left and the crank drive on the right, both using gates carbon fiber belts

AM-JKLU6KNTxNiG7hUXS67D_rrQtlOm1GS8qKaq_0mRiURE_tr9kf_ZudYex1pepZ4OKdr27Vdc-K6ttqdPQilVDf5qcseEDhcTmwE6eR91ynO6hQyMR_hc0-A8eCOreJoPWRlPSTkuPEFEyLrluy4OsDUem=w1037-h531-no

I'm relocating original cranks.... but retaining the rear suspension pivot point.. so I get better pedal configuration. I've designed a 3 phase motor that looks like original gas motor, and I've run the cranks thru the motor spindle....

1646265981631.png