Hello from Chilliwack

Feeop

Hi everyone. Thanks for accepting me into the group. I'm a complete beginner looking to just make stuff. Since I didn't have a lot of time outside work, I decided to start out with a King Canada 15 vs mill, and yes they're not the best as even a beginner can attest and, I blew out the nylon gears on my first attempt at a facing operation. On the bright side, I now know how it's put together. I tried the metal gears from little machine shop, but the shaft size for the large gear does not match so I'm going to try the belt conversion. So any word of wisdom are appreciated. Yes I know get a better mill and I will as time goes on. Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_231042869.jpg
    PXL_20230805_231042869.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 20

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Welcome from Steveston (Richmond)!

LMS belt conversion is a good choice, makes the mill much more useable.

The air spring conversion kit is a good idea, gives you a bit more useable Z-axis and less worries about dropping the head.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome. Yes many hobbyists have less than their ideal machinery but usually have to work within fairly small budgets. Although I too dream of bigger top of the line machinery, I do find satisfaction and enjoyment in improving my small equipment and making good stuff despite their limitations and challenges.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from a rock farmer in Ontario.

You might self identify as a complete beginner, but looks to me like you already have a full blown infection!

I can't speak to the gear change vs belt, but I could suggest finding a close by member to modify the gear for you. Prolly not hard to do and having a nearby member to help each other is always good.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
The KC-15VS is a good desktop mill.
It is not a full-size knee mill, but fairly powerful at 3/4hp.
I have owned mine for 2-1/2 years and just now replacing a nylon gear.
First cutter I bought was a two insert, 1” Dia. Flycutter. I have a lot of experience with cemented carbides as well as HSS End Mills.

stephen@vanisleanodizing.

Premium Member
Hi everyone. Thanks for accepting me into the group. I'm a complete beginner looking to just make stuff. Since I didn't have a lot of time outside work, I decided to start out with a King Canada 15 vs mill, and yes they're not the best as even a beginner can attest and, I blew out the nylon gears on my first attempt at a facing operation. On the bright side, I now know how it's put together. I tried the metal gears from little machine shop, but the shaft size for the large gear does not match so I'm going to try the belt conversion. So any word of wisdom are appreciated. Yes I know get a better mill and I will as time goes on. Cheers
I also use King for easy fixing my sheer/brake/roll combo bench top and drill press etc. I don't have to pay shipping costs with King either so double bonus. Welcome to forum.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
The KING KC-15VS is easy to disassemble and repair.
I have used it for almost 2 years without problems.
The parts department in Montreal has shipped all the spindle drive gears for me.
(Mine is still under the warranty period)
I think I will add a stiffener plate between the base and column to stiffen the assembly and add some mass for dampening.

How is the forest fire situation near Chilliwack ?

Feeop

The parts department in Montreal has shipped all the spindle drive gears for me.
I think I will add a stiffener plate between the base and column to stiffen the assembly and add some mass for dampening.

We're ok around here. The wind usually keeps the smoke at bay.

Feeop

How do you order from Montreal? When I go to their website all I get is a way to contact local service reps. Mine is still under warranty as well.