Hello from Calgary

Heyo,

I have been working as a pseudo apprentice at an aircraft maintenance facility, fabricating parts and helping around but I recently returned to school so I can get accredited and a logbook goin.

Although I hardly use it I do have a 3d printer and am currently trying to learn autocad so I can design/modify the stuff I see at work and personal projects.
I've been really interested in getting myself a lathe and mill for a while now but I'll have to hold off until I finish school and can get back to work.

Are those import mini lathe machines any good or would I be better off finding a solid old lathe locally?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver!

Any lathe is better than no lathe. The mini lathes are crap, but can still do usable work. My first lathe was a Toyo ML210, smaller than a Unimat, but I used it to make custom pipe fittings and made enough $$$ from it to buy my second (bigger) lathe.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Welcome from SW Calgary. Your choice may depend on the size of your work envelope. I think the Chinese 7x10s are likely better than similar sized vintage lathes like the 6” atlas. Chinese 14” and larger are likely fine. The sizes in between are a bit of a crap shoot. I did have a Chinese 10x20 and it was not as rigid as my 9” Southbend.

Bandit

Super User
Well, as said above, nearly any lathe is better then no lathe. That being said, too small for the work does not work well. This applies to a mill as well. Learning to use what you have is a factor. Price, available space, available equipment all figure in. Oh, and how long you want to wait.
Welcome from south of Calgary.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Welcome from south Calgary

I would hold on to your money and find at least a 9" south bend or larger, I wouldn't spend any money on a mini lathe unless you want to only do plastic and brass