Hello everyone, central Alberta

Lincoln

Hello guys, from red deer area.
Refractory bricklayer wanting to learn how to machine.
Been on the search for a suitable machine for a couple years.

If anyone has refractory questions I could do my best to help you out.

Attachments

• IMG_7291.jpg
    IMG_7291.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
Welcome Lincoln; The 3Ph issue put me off too. There seems to be some good info here and I say seems because I don't know a lot about it either. I've found a mill that's 220 3Ph thus no transformer needed, VFD's Variable Frequency Drives are recommended over RPC's Rotary Phase Convertors it would seem. I'm hoping there's info here on which VFD is the best value vs. reliability.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Another welcome from Calgary. I’m sure us metal casters will have some refractory questions. I’ll start, where can I score a bag of calcium aluminate cement? Aka cement fondu.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Have to chime in to balance the hello’s. All you Calgary and Western guys; 11 months of winter and 1 month of bad ice fishing..... Hello from Southern Ontario. Cheers.

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lincoln

Another welcome from Calgary. I’m sure us metal casters will have some refractory questions. I’ll start, where can I score a bag of calcium aluminate cement? Aka cement fondu.

From what I see ( I don't deal with chemical makeup) you'd be looking for something like grefpatch 85 from HWI.

If your serious i could source some

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Hey welcome! If you find a lathe that looks good share some pictures, these guys have allot of knowledge about what you are looking for.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Welcome! There's lots of help available here!

I missed a thermodyne heat treat furnace in January but one day A suitable furnace will appear, just a matter of time!

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Very much so depends on application, I could possibly point you guys to a better product for the job.
Mostly interested in insulated castable refractory or insulated bricks.
This would be used aluminum/brass melting furnaces, forges and heat treat ovens. I don’t know if there are any potters in the group so I didn’t include kilns.

Lincoln

You could use something like kastolite 45li, and if it's low abrasion on the brick use a 2800° insulator, the 2300° are just to soft.