Hardinge, Comox BC

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd like to message the seller and tell him not waste OUR time if he "isn't even sure he wants to sell it. Beautiful lathe.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmmmm....... Parked in the middle of an empty showroom shop, right next to a bandsaw, but not sure he wants to sell it......

Nice lathe though. Different beast in many ways (pun intended).

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice lathe. I'm considering making an offer or 249,999 Lucky999token bitcoins (less transaction fees) including all tooling plus the large oil can. But I'm not even sure its worth my time to offer because I'm a very, very busy crypto exchange day trader. And if you know your day traders, you'll know there aren't many of us & we are all very, very busy.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My favourite lathes. I will own an HLV-H someday. Preferably an EM, but I'd settle. Certainly not one of those two. There was a time those went for much cheaper at all the Ontario GTA auctions following the 2008 bust. Wish I had space, and money for one back then. The 3 that we had at an old job went for under 5K each. They were in really good shape too. Much better than the one we have at work now.

First one has enough of the usual head/tailstock paint wear (it's a great comfy place to rest your hands :D) that I'd be checking the ways up near the headstock for the typical saddled out wear. One can still make good parts on it, ours at work is pretty bad, but I certainly wouldn't consider paying that price if it's noticeably worn.

I'm working on a trying to get a DSM right now to do a CNC conversion. Might be the closest I get to an hlv-h. Hopefully in the new year it'll be on my floor.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Dan Dubeau I agree these are very nice machines. I'd prefer an HLV-H over a 10ee. But any of these are too much for me, and I don't have the room (yet, maybe?)

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've never used a 10ee, but would like to someday. I have a lot of time running Hardinge's and have just come to like them over the years. The ergos just seem to fit me. IMO the only easier lathe (that I've ran anyway) for threading is a CNC.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I've never used a 10ee, but would like to someday. I have a lot of time running Hardinge's and have just come to like them over the years. The ergos just seem to fit me. IMO the only easier lathe (that I've ran anyway) for threading is a CNC.
A fellow from Ont that I used to buy new screw sets for old rifles claimed having a Hardinge Lathe was what made the production worth while. He could make a batch of oddball gun thread screws that I couldnt even buy a die for in short order ....but they were expensive!!!
A $250 order of screws wasnt a very big bag full when it arrived but if you need them.... you need them.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The autostop rod is a thing of beauty. I thread mostly on the CNC now, because most of the threads I need are metric, but every once in a while do it just because it's a joy to use. Our retractable compound is screwed too, from ham fisted muppets, so it's not even as nice as a full working model.

This is me every time I use the Hardinge at work. :(
w3cwenPl.png