• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hannifin Four-in-One Ottawa

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
What a cool little machine, accuracy tbd but what a great restoration project. No price given.
s-l640.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That is not a cool machine - that looks super cool.

As usual its in ON.

If in AB I am sure price would also be astronomical.

I hope someone here closer to the machine grabs this, even if only until a suitable buyer comes along, I would hate to see a scrapper get this, as I doubt there's many around.

juan1

I contacted the seller, thinking it might be a fun restoration. He's looking for offer around $4K. Pass for me.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hard to tell from the pictures...does the lathe bed just hang in space? (just supported at the spindle end - I know it's not anti-gravity)

And I wish people would at least try to clean up a machine if they want top dollar for it. Even if you at least oil the rust it looks a wee bit better and knock the swarf and dust off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I dunno. Unless somebody knows something I don't know, I am thinking it's not even worth a grand let alone 4. It's obvious to me that its been very very well used. It will take a ton of work to clean it up and tune it up. It's also a pretty rare duck so parts are probably a nightmare.

It would look cool all cleaned up though. And who knows, maybe it's a diamond in the rough. But a pretty big gamble no matter what. I sure as heck would not be recommending that to a new machinist.

Just my off the cuff thoughts.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Hard to tell from the pictures...does the lathe bed just hang in space? (just supported at the spindle end - I know it's not anti-gravity)
If you go to the lathe.co.uk site there is a good picture of the lathe bed support.
he was told he should sell it for 6K
I'd like to know the where the justification for a 6K estimate comes from. I agree it's seems to be a rare item but demand (or lack of) will say what it's actually worth.

"If" I was closer and looking for something interesting to work on, I would think that around $1200 would be my top end limit, and I think in time this realisation will also dawn on the seller. I suspect their advise comes from an enthusiastic antique collector rather than an informed advisor.
I still hope that someone here has the patience to stick with the seller until this realisation comes around.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I missed this thread before. For a collector/restorer, it'd be worth about 1500$. for a metal hobby person, a hard pass above 500$. They aren't rigid enough to do decent things in steel.

In *perfectly restored* condition, it would fetch 4000-5000$ easy.

but the cool factor is off the charts.