Tips/Techniques Groove width

Tips/Techniques

Shoprat

Building a low demand rolling wheel set up for an outdoor kitchen which requires an axle with a round nylon wheel. My question is, my e clips are .055 thick and my smallest grooming tool ( part off tool) is .095. Go with that or sacrifice an insert and grind it down ? What is an acceptable clearance for an eclip. Axle diameter is .500.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Building a low demand rolling wheel set up for an outdoor kitchen which requires an axle with a round nylon wheel. My question is, my e clips are .055 thick and my smallest grooming tool ( part off tool) is .095. Go with that or sacrifice an insert and grind it down ? What is an acceptable clearance for an eclip. Axle diameter is .500.

I'm away from my shop right now, but I believe there are charts in machinerys handbook.

Fundamentally, holding a wheel on is no big challenge. You could even use a thick washer to keep the clip at one side of the groove. I've even seen a collar used with a grub screw.

Personally, I find you need special abrasives to change carbide to the extent you prolly need. I agree with @PeterT. Grind a HSS grooving parting tool and be done with it.