Grinding wheel spacer material

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What exactly is the the cardboard looking material sandwiched between a grinding wheel & metal arbor? Mine look like the backs of cereal boxes & that's assuming anything came in the box. Usually its just the label sticker on the side of the wheel. I assume there is more to it? Maybe the gasket allow abrasive something to conform into or prevents excessive clamping 'frac' pressure to the wheel? What about metal on metal like an aluminum cup wheel being clamped to a steel adapter fitting?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good question Peter. I dunno. I always assumed it was there to absorb the dimensional surface imperfections of the abrasive and thereby prevent stress cracking of the entire wheel. I'm always careful not to lose it or tear it. Looks a lot like blotter paper.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure of the composition of the material but i have read someplace "do not remove the paper backing" . Also can't remember why you don't remove said material. I'm not a lot of help, must be a monday morning.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
"Blotters are compressible washers that are placed between abrasive wheels and flanges to prevent the flanges from slipping and protect them from wear. They are also important for wheel safety and are required by the safety code ANSI B7.1."

Read some of the old machinist manuals for education on this.

Science (educational justification), liability (don't sue us), and regulation (trying to eliminate stupid to prevent #2 using #1).

*** Side note Darwin already does does permanently ***

So in effort to avoid #2 follow the manufacturers recommendations if you have to ask, the rest of us will use common sense and apply what all this means.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
By far the best material to make these washers is the rubberized gasket stuff made by InterFace e.g. NI-2085. It comes in several thicknesses -15 to 20 thou works well.

Gasket material.png

Don

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Aha, never heard the term 'blotter', or if I did it went into deep storage where birth dates are. That turns up lots of useful info. Thanks for tips.

found this link asking same question - who is this gerritv guy? LOL