• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Grinding Methods with tools at hand.

Tips/Techniques
We all wish we could have every available machine and tool, unfortunately budgets, space, time and wife greatly reduce the possibilities of that every happening.

However for grinding there are options and here is the first example (please post others as you find them I will add more as I find others I have seen)

How to use your lathe to grind your live center with precision.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I saw that video. It looked like it worked according to the dial gage. But seemed to my eyes & ears his cup wheel had initial runout. He should have dressed it in-situ with a point held in the cross slide axis before grinding. That dressing/conditioning stone he applied by hand part way through might clean the debris & expose fresh cutting surface, but its not really true-ing the surface. Good that he covered his ways with protection paper or whatever it was. Looks like a nice lathe.

I have a sone like that for my diamond wheels for my Deckel clone, it is used to clean/expose a fresh cutting surface freehand. Yes freehand, when I picked up one of my diamond wheels from a manufacturer that is what the explain on the best way to get maximum life as the dressing stone is exceptionally soft.