• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Greetings … take 2

Hello. Saying hello. I signed up and introduced myself a couple weeks ago, then my registration was caught in ether limbo as part of the big site crash. Fortunately the Admin & Moderators have managed to resurrect my identity and here I am. Looking forward to learning what I can; contributing when I am able.
I’m new to metal working. Always wanted to have the skills, but making a living & kids & life occupied my time. Now I have some time available (retired) and I’m keen to learn.
I’m located in the Shuswap in BC.
I have an old Atlas 618, a new-old-stock, “Complex Machines, Model ZX-25” milling machine (I’m still cleaning the 20 year old shipping grease off it). Plus some welding equipment. Learning to use it will take a while! Learning to use it well will take all the time I’ve got left!

I’ll post some pics when I’m able.
Just to clarify, the Atlas 618 is my little lathe. It needs a little TLC
The ZX-25 is a 1 HP, belt driven, knee milling machine with a 7.5” x 23” table. It is actually 22 years old (date 2001 date on original inspection report), but came out of the original shipping crate last week. Near as I can tell, the brand name is “Complex Machine”. It is very similar to other Chinese mills I see advertised, so who actually made it is a mystery. Should work for my purposes…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Southern Ontario Farm Country.

Wow! Your mill find is amazing. New in box after 22 years!

I resemble your learning remarks. It's a never ending upward curve in knowledge and skill but a declining ability. My goal is to never stop learning and improving until the day the grass looks white.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Greely Ont. I am like you enjoying the hobby a bit later in life and lots to learn.
@trlvn was recently parting out a 618 if there is something your looking for.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Southern Alberta. It's a great hobby, lots to learn, discover and lots of resources available to help with the process.

Proxule

Ultra Member
I’ll post some pics when I’m able.
Just to clarify, the Atlas 618 is my little lathe. It needs a little TLC
The ZX-25 is a 1 HP, belt driven, knee milling machine with a 7.5” x 23” table. It is actually 22 years old (date 2001 date on original inspection report), but came out of the original shipping crate last week. Near as I can tell, the brand name is “Complex Machine”. It is very similar to other Chinese mills I see advertised, so who actually made it is a mystery. Should work for my purposes…
welcome friend,

How did you manage to land on a 22 yr old NOS machine?

Thanks everyone. The ZX-25 has sparked some interest! I’ll get some pictures soon.

It is very similar to the ZX25 that Janger posted. More primitive, with no variable speed drive, just move the belts. Somewhere between the Bolton ZX25 and this one:
https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-1-1-4-inch-milling-drilling-machine.html

The one I have was taken in trade by a friend for some work he did for someone else years ago. It had been outside in the original shipping crate for well over a decade and the crate was completely rotten. Fortunately, the machine was well greased and wrapped in paper. I’m still working on removing both. Any spots that the grease missed are corroded, but fortunately, the critical bits seem to have been protected.

I had messaged Craig (trlvn) when I first registered about a compound rest for the ATLAS 6-18. Mine is broken but repaired by brazing, so it is ‘delicately functional’. Making a replacement is now the first planned project for the mill. Just need to get a dovetail cutter, and a t-slot cutter, and ? The mill came with a 2.5” end mill. So far, machining has been a case of spend a bunch of money, do a wee bit of work, spend a bunch more money. I’m hoping to quickly reach the point where I have enough of the basics to MAKE some of my own ‘extras’.