• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Grease Guns 101

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have to inject some grease into a machine through what I expect are 'standard' nipples... whatever that means. How I got this far in life without ever owning a grease gun is another conversation. LOL. Anyway, I see it as something I would use for low grease volume, occasional maintenance maybe 4 times a year. Otherwise it will probably sit there unused. I looked at some of those 'mini' guns but I couldn't tell the difference if they were small for convenience or getting into tight places, or maybe just cheapo? Are mini's more of a pain to buy smaller cartridges in common greases a person would expect to use? I think a short flexy hose would be desirable feature vs. a rigid tube if that makes a difference. Any names you like or don't like?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Almost any grease gun will work in injecting low pressure situations with clean fresh grease on the receiving end...however if you are trying to inject grease into an old u-joint, spline, socket, etc that may not get regular greasing, or the nipple has dried shut, then the better quality grease guns really shine.

I own a few grease guns and among them is one of those tiny ones. I bought it for greasing a quad out at my mother in laws place and that's it. The grease in those little tunes are harder to find and are expensive per unit of grease. It's works but if I would to do it again I would buy the regular size gun.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Almost any grease gun will work in injecting low pressure situations with clean fresh grease on the receiving end...however if you are trying to inject grease into an old u-joint, spline, socket, etc that may not get regular greasing, or the nipple has dried shut, then the better quality grease guns really shine.

I own a few grease guns and among them is one of those tiny ones. I bought it for greasing a quad out at my mother in laws place and that's it. The grease in those little tunes are harder to find and are expensive per unit of grease. It's works but if I would to do it again I would buy the regular size gun.

The flexible hoses are fine if you can get your hand down around the nipple but on some machinery that is not possible and you need the rigid tube to push it onto the grease nipple.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
And the golden grease rule for guns: prepack it to avoid air locks. There's nothing that creates a bigger mess than having to take one apart when it is still half full.

I used a friends M18 Milwaukee electric one. I think it must purge the air automatically because it never jams. Of course it's expensive too.

Downwindtracker2

A under appreciated aspect, is the coupling. They wear out and won't hold tight.. You know it's a good one if you can't get it off with out a struggle.