• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Gravity vs Measurements

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On another forum someone posted this Richard King video. I was quite intrigued by this. I've held my DTI in the little stub arbor & the bar included in the kit & observed no such deviation. But its a different matter when you do teh same thing with a typical indicator mag stand holder assembly. The theme is gravity acts on the assembly and gives erroneous readings upright vs inverted. A classic example of this (and which I am personally guilty) is putting a DTI assembly in the lathe chuck & rotating about a fixed arbor in the tailstock to determine if its coaxial to the spindle. I suppose the lateral in/out position of the TS is more believable because the assembly is in the same vertical plane, but now I'm even suspicious of that. Comparing the readings of DTI facing down vs up, is more suspect. How much more? Surprisingly a lot.

I crudely mimicked this with my equipment & got the following on a mini mag holder vs typical mag holder. Your mileage may vary.
Noga Mini + Mitutoyo 0.0001" DTI: Level reference = 0.0000", 90-deg = 0.0005 - 0.0008", 180-deg (inverted) = .0011
Noga 12"? + Mitutoyo 0.001" DTI: Level reference= 0.000", 90-deg = .0042", 180-deg = .0055" (suspect a smidge more because it didn't return to zero & there might be some flex in my bar).

Conclusions
- I'm confident the DTI by itself probably has negligible gravity effect. A short rigid holder like the dovetail stem & probably the bar is probably close to nil
- but the contribution of the typical mag base DTI holder assembly sure can yield incorrect numbers
- if you have to use a holder, best to find something more rigid. I don't know what to say on that front. Maybe those classic post & clamp style are better? If you have one do a test & let us know.
- gravity acting on extended frame is the enemy here. So I suspect a dial indicator would be worse yet because it weighs more than DTI & is cantilevered out to the extremity
- for this reason, don't use a long mag base arm when a mini will do
- just to be clear, all should be well rotating an indicator assembly as long as you are maintaining the same positional plane of the dial. The problems happen when teh assembly is rotating & gravity tends to pull it different in one orientation vs another

Here is the RK video

Attachments

• IMG_1815_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1815_edited-1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1817_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1817_edited-1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1818_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1818_edited-1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1826_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1826_edited-1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1829_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1829_edited-1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1830_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1830_edited-1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0

John Conroy

Premium Member
Makes perfect sense when you think about it and good to keep in mind when ever we use an indicator for comparison measurements. Thanks for posting that Peter.