Gravel Scoop for Icy Sidewalks

francist

Super User
Yeah, there’s the rub. They’re not mine, I just facilitate in various degrees the implementation. The end product isn’t secret by any stretch but I am hesitant (perhaps overly so) to present the work outside of the official channels, as it were. Some things would be pretty recognizable and I don’t want to make it seem like I’m presenting the projects or opening them for discussion outside of the proper purview.

Sorry, I don’t mean to clandestine about it, it’s just I don’t want to get anyone in hot water. Including me :D

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice build. I wonder if mixing some salt in with your gravel would help with it freezing solid.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Nice build. I wonder if mixing some salt in with your gravel would help with it freezing solid.
You're probably right. I started doing all this snow removal stuff years ago because my wife slipped and injured herself walking our dog along this route. But the salt causes issues with our dog's feet. It did with our first dog as well. Even the "enviro-friendly / pet friendly" brands cause a rash on his feet so bad he limps for days. We have to wash his feet every time we come back from a walk as is, so I don't want to add to the problem. Plus, the salt deteriorates the concrete. For those reasons I don't use it.

I'm not wackadoodle about it. Unlike some people I don't run around telling people not to use it—but I just prefer not to. Late in the winter before the firehalls put away their salt and gravel bins and you can get it for free I usually load up. Then I wash out the salt from the mix and save the sand and gravel for snow blower season. Free is good. I like free. :)