Gratitude for the forum - & CAD

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I answered a couple of questions on the autodesk Fusion community forum. Holy $#@ I angered the CAD gods apparently. Those 'experts' weighed in on my help, trashed it, suggested sophisticated solutions (simple for them but I don't understand a lot of more sophisticated things in Fusion yet, and I imagine a lot of people don't) Basically, NO, you're an idiot, you do it this way, I'm not going to tell you how, and they didn't even comprehend the original posters specific details. :oops: 'Experts' they may be but teachers they are not. Gotta like CHMW, you can ask a basic question, any question, and you'll get a reader suitable answer, and if you still don't get it, keep asking and more people will help more. I'm grateful you members are all my friends and don't have another agenda. :)

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I answered a couple of questions on the autodesk Fusion community forum. Holy $#@ I angered the CAD gods apparently. Those 'experts' weighed in on my help, trashed it, suggested sophisticated solutions (simple for them but I don't understand a lot of more sophisticated things in Fusion yet, and I imagine a lot of people don't) Basically, NO, you're an idiot, you do it this way, I'm not going to tell you how, and they didn't even comprehend the original posters specific details. :oops: 'Experts' they may be but teachers they are not. Gotta like CHMW, you can ask a basic question, any question, and you'll get a reader suitable answer, and if you still don't get it, keep asking and more people will help more. I'm grateful you members are all my friends and don't have another agenda. :)
That’s been my experience on most forums except for this one, Hobby Machinist and Vintage Twins (Honda motorcycle forum)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I answered a couple of questions on the autodesk Fusion community forum. Holy $#@ I angered the CAD gods apparently.

That's been my experience sometimes too. In one case, I got treated so badly that I never went back.

I hope we're good to the new members and people who don't post much. Let's try to make sure that we all are. As the forum grows it's harder to remember everyone.

Old people were good to me in my younger life. Now that I'm an old guy myself, I figure it's my turn to pay it back. I love helping. In fact, if anything I prolly overdo it. Ironically, I find myself still learning and still growing. This a great forum full of amazing people.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I've angered the LinuxCNC gods a few times. One time an 'expert' (small letters) told me I wasn't listening. My reply was the same question asked in a different way. Again I was told I wasn't listening. It went downhill from there.

There's an expression out there I'm sure everyone has heard or read. "Those that can, do; those that can't, teach". Unfortunately a lot of people believe that trite. The reality is quite different.

"Those that can, do; those that can are not always the best teachers."

In fact some who CAN do very well are the worst teachers and some of the best teachers I've had are also very good at doing.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I hope we're good to the new members and people who don't post much. Let's try to make sure that we all are. As the forum grows it's harder to remember everyone.
You are echoing my experience on other forums also.

You also echo my experience on this forum. As someone who is still pretty new to all this, I LOVE that you can ask a question that "everyone" should know the answer to, and people will take the time to talk to you without making you feel stupid. They will even try again if I am too slow to understand the first point. And follow up questions are also answered.

People on the forum don't always agree, but everyone treats others with respect and realizes that "actual results may vary" depending on many factors.

The congeniality and helpfulness of this board is one of the reasons I'm still here. I truly appreciate you guys.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My experience in grade 12 Physics. Teacher couldn't understand why everyone wasn't born understanding the formulas we worked with. Was a great teacher for the two egg heads in the class. The 9 of us that failed aced summer school without cracking a book. The teacher there was wondering what we were doing at summer school.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Also my experience on other forums.

A long time ago, one of my many mentors told me:

“You‘re not a turtle, you weren’t born knowing everything about how to be a turtle. You knew nothing about <xyz> when you started here. Neither will the new hire. Help them, the same way I helped you.”

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've angered the LinuxCNC gods a few times. One time an 'expert' (small letters) told me I wasn't listening. My reply was the same question asked in a different way. Again I was told I wasn't listening. It went downhill from there.

There's an expression out there I'm sure everyone has heard or read. "Those that can, do; those that can't, teach". Unfortunately a lot of people believe that trite. The reality is quite different.

In fact some who CAN do very well are the worst teachers and some of the best teachers I've had are also very good at doing.
Full disclosure: the biggest reason I didn’t go LinuxCNC on my router was because of the reception I got on their forum.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Full disclosure: the biggest reason I didn’t go LinuxCNC on my router was because of the reception I got on their forum.
I'm not surprised. I tend not to go to the google groups on LinuxCNC. T
his mail list has been very supportive and helpful.

Emc-users mailing list
Emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

One of the key people (with very short answers is Andy Pugh in the UK) He's one of the people putting together new versions. He's never ever been insulting. I've yet to be insulted on this list by anyone.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

Emc-users mailing list

One of the key people (with very short answers is Andy Pugh in the UK) He's one of the people putting together new versions. He's never ever been insulting. I've yet to be insulted on this list by anyone.
I remember Andy; yes he was decent. The vast majority were not.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Certain tech areas do seem to attract the most difficult people. I used to sell computers. One of the lines we carried was NeXT. Remember those? Every client was an ass. The next sales said rep said all my customers are ass$&&&. Odd. it didn’t help that you might wait a year or maybe two before your order would show up.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yah me too ! Had a read write optical drive. Motorola 68030. Elegant, beautiful, really expensive machines. Does Motorola still make chips?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yah me too ! Had a read write optical drive. Motorola 68030. Elegant, beautiful, really expensive machines. Does Motorola still make chips?
Indirectly. They no longer exist. Eventually was bought by NXP Semiconductors in Eindhoven which was Philips Semi. I still use the MC9S12XDP512. Has 512K FLASH, 32K RAM, Co Processor that runs independently from the main processor. The M9S12 series were an enhanced almost 16 bit version of the M6809 which I believe was the processor in the Radio Shack Color Computer. The Microware operating system OS9 was also first introduced on it.
1702181506394.png

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm fairly new to this forum, and from my perspective It definitely has a really positive vibe. The responses to my endless questions have been very helpful.

I have posted a few questions over at LinuxCNC and have had really good responses so far. It's early days but gut feeling about the Linux path seems positive. I will be using a MESA FPGA board for I/O and the MESA people were really helpful even suggesting a few specific models of dirt cheap off lease type PCs that were known to have really low latency when used with their boards and LinuxCNC, I was able to pick one up yesterday for $40 on marketplace.

I can actually see an improvement in what I'm turning out that is directly related to the responses from members here, so BIG thanks!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Wow! Other people know NeXT? I was an early NeXT developer. I was at the first developers conference (before the hardware was finalized!) It was so far ahead, it never gained widespread acceptance... sigh.

The difference here is very refreshing. It is a great place to help and be helped, and the kind of people it attracts are people you want to be your friends. :D

Tom O

Ultra Member

Emc-users mailing list

I had a Aunty Pugh when I was knee high.
My son had a Mr Pugh for a teacher he told him we might be related to the teachers Horror!