• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Got a new used phone, seems to take better pics

Frankly, I miss that the nieces and nephews are all pretty much become independent adults (if still juniors at it, LOL!) , as they supplied me with a steady stream of overpriced broken Apple phones and pads, that I was able to repair using cheap parts off eBay.

Rather flavors my view of the amount of sympathy (found between s**t and syphilis inna dictionary!) I have for Apple and the likes of John Deere, attempting to thwart Right To Repair!

Frankly, I miss that the nieces and nephews are all pretty much become independent adults (if still juniors at it, LOL!) , as they supplied me with a steady stream of overpriced broken Apple phones and pads, that I was able to repair using cheap parts off eBay.

Rather flavors my view of the amount of sympathy (found between s**t and syphilis inna dictionary!) I have for Apple and the likes of John Deere, attempting to thwart Right To Repair!
amen, you buy it you should have the right to do whatever the effing hell you want with it.

If you are capable. I still have to replace the screen in wife's laptop... tried to hint to my friend in IT who gave me this phone that wife needed new laptop. He must have missed my hints

Moto G stylus says 48mp somehow but always looked like crap to me especially in low light.

New to me samsung is better phone, lets see how the pics are...

View attachment 53234

It has a food shot setting too

View attachment 53235
I think generally the Samsungs have had really good cameras. My last one (S10+) had a nice camera and had a food photo setting that I thought was cool but seldom used. My new Samsung supposedly has a better camera yet although I don't honestly know if it has the food photo setting. It does however take considerably better low light photos.

amen, you buy it you should have the right to do whatever the effing hell you want with it.

If you are capable. I still have to replace the screen in wife's laptop... tried to hint to my friend in IT who gave me this phone that wife needed new laptop. He must have missed my hints
Between arthritis and a general lack of motivation, as well as reduced eye-sight at close ranges, I have almost stopped entirely in the repair side of things.

I will, however, recommend IFixit, as a source of information, and eBay, as a source of cheap (though sometimes with reason) parts. With reason, as in, many of them are culls from the actual production runs or replacement runs. I can live with a few bright spots, for example, on my screen, because it was $12, shipped, rather than $200+ at the Apple Store... But it was better than the shattered mess it started as...

You got not a lot to lose, with punching Replace Screen laptop (make and model#) into a search engine, and see if it looks like something you can do.

I'll add that as far as the camera tech in phones goes, it really starts to remind me of the advertising for various stereos, especially Car Stereos, of so long ago.

My dog may be able to hear the difference, but I sure can't, esp when I have been cruising around the back roads with my arm out the window...

Way I see it, is if you are taking pictures to be used to print out billboard size copies, you are probably still using the wrong tool, no matter if the phone says it can do this...

But hey, whaddo I know, I still see it all on a 1080 pitch screen! LOL!

I think all this stuff pretty much depends on how much knowledge and experience you have as well as what tools you have.

My late model Samsung has a food setting which I just used to take this photo of some gourmet food my wife painted.

20241023_093444.jpg

Even if your phone doesn't have a food setting, you can download and install camera apps for your phone that do.

@TorontoBuilder strikes me as a guy who can and does do most things himself but prefers to do what he likes to do best while farming out the rest to friends he trusts. Just to piss him off, I could start a survey to see what everyone else thinks......

IMG_0485 (1).gif

Last edited:
I think all this stuff pretty much depends on how much knowledge and experience you have as well as what tools you have.

My late model Samsung has a food setting which I just used to take this photo of some gourmet food my wife painted.

View attachment 53241

Even if your phone doesn't have a food setting, you can download and install camera apps for your phone that do.

@TorontoBuilder strikes me as a guy who can and does do most things himself but prefers to do what he likes to do best while farming out the rest to friends he trusts. Just to piss him off, I could start a survey to see what everyone else thinks......

View attachment 53240
Great painting!

I'll add that as far as the camera tech in phones goes, it really starts to remind me of the advertising for various stereos, especially Car Stereos, of so long ago.

My dog may be able to hear the difference, but I sure can't, esp when I have been cruising around the back roads with my arm out the window...

Way I see it, is if you are taking pictures to be used to print out billboard size copies, you are probably still using the wrong tool, no matter if the phone says it can do this...

But hey, whaddo I know, I still see it all on a 1080 pitch screen! LOL!

Phone cameras come in tiers, just like regular digital cameras. Entry level phones all have similar cameras, but some sensors are a bit better than others, usually in the low light department. I only go with entry level phones because I dont want to get phone calls, I dont surf a phone or go out much where I need more in a phone.

But I do want to post a small online image that doesn't look like dog crap.

And I do love me nice panoramic prints of the Nick Carver variety, it's why I used to own a view camera and why I sold off all my digital gear to buy another view camera set up with roll film capabilities. Great for large prints, not so great for instant online posts

View attachment 53241

View attachment 53240
Dude, you think I trust people?

Back