• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Glue or Ink Improves Soft Metal Cuts

Tips/Techniques
Looking at it there are a couple of things to note.

- no coolant, very important for soft smeary type materials as they create galling with heat.
- Glue acts as a coolant.
- 2015 publication, cutters have come a long way.

Definitely an interesting read.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
True, top of the line cutters/coatings may have come a long way in six years but 95% percent of us use older technology not 'cutting edge' tooling.

I agree, although I have a good amount of Carbide. I still grind HSS lathe cutters to get that unique look on some home made stuff.
Never gets boring that's for sure.

Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
This is very interesting, What the article didn't state was how to use the glue/ink. Does it need to be applied for every cut and to what depth of cut does this work? This could be a real PIA and would make me be looking for an insert/mill designed for the product.

I thought the same things, especially using Dykem blue. Wonder if they use spray or brush on. Can't say I've ever considered it, other than for layouts only. Way back before CNC took over many industries.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
For most milling and turning of tool steels, I like air with a mist of acculube in case anyone hasen't tried it. Pain in the butt to mount and set up but well worth the time and investment afterwards IMHO. Easy to control and clean up as well since you don't need much coming through the tube onto the cutter and part.

Degen, have you tired acculube?

For most milling and turning of tool steels, I like air with a mist of acculube in case anyone hasen't tried it. Pain in the butt to mount and set up but well worth the time and investment afterwards IMHO. Easy to control and clean up as well since you don't need much coming through the tube onto the cutter and part.

Degen, have you tired acculube?
Yes I use/used a mist cooling system and it does work for lighter cuts, when you get aggressive with carbide heat is generated and flood cooling is the only way to go. Even after flood cooling parts come out warm/hot to the touch.

These solutions are a really a game of cost vs return on investment. What I've found is flood cooling while a pain in mess, is on the mill at least the way to go for about 80% of my work. Better finish, longer tool life, faster run times is the driving factor. Cost per cutter is lower than HSS.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I use coated carbide inserts. I just don't buy the newest coated cryogenically treated carbide inserts that command substantially higher prices than the coated inserts I have on hand. The hundreds of inserts I already have are pre 2015 but they work nicely.

Regarding how to use ink or glue to aid machining finish, the article states that the application of either improves the immediate cutting action, not every cutting pass. Ink or glue would need to be applied for every cutting pass where you wanted to improve finish.