Gib Strip on compund

Hey everyone ,me again, I'm trying to adjust the Gib strip on my compound slide, thing is if I tighten them to where she don't rock or move, i can barely turn the handle. Is my Gib strip Maybe garbage ? Remember this is a mini Lathe 7 X 12 made in China.
Is there some other way for me to achieve what I'm looking for ?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Did you check the LMS mini-lath operations manual for the adjustment procedure?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If you tighten to the point where the compound is usable, how much compound play/rock do you have?

Remove the gib and try re-installing it, maybe it's installed backwards. Did you buy this machine new or used?

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Metalistico : what is your gib strip made of and how is it tightened? If it is a few set screws on the side that push in, you may have a dimple or two in the strip caused by the set screw that is giving you a high spot. you can check with some bluing or maybe even check the area around each set screw.

If it is a tapered fit, it can get a bit more complicated with scrapping it in. Can also be a burr or rough area in the works

If you tighten to the point where the compound is usable, how much compound play/rock do you have?

Remove the gib and try re-installing it, maybe it's installed backwards. Did you buy this machine new or used?
I bought it new from KMS tool's in Edmonton, I tried turning it around and it only fits in 1 way due to the drilled holes in it. I took it apart again and noticed that the Gib is twisted a bit, I'll try lapping it.

@Metalistico : what is your gib strip made of and how is it tightened? If it is a few set screws on the side that push in, you may have a dimple or two in the strip caused by the set screw that is giving you a high spot. you can check with some bluing or maybe even check the area around each set screw.

If it is a tapered fit, it can get a bit more complicated with scrapping it in. Can also be a burr or rough area in the works
I took it apart again and noticed the Gib strip has a slight twist in it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I bought it new from KMS tool's in Edmonton, I tried turning it around and it only fits in 1 way due to the drilled holes in it. I took it apart again and noticed that the Gib is twisted a bit, I'll try lapping it.

Post an image of the gib please. I don't recollect mine having a hole in it.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
The trick is to use the locking nut on the gib screw to set the pressure, it can be very time consuming and tedious but start in the middle and work outwards, after you set the screw hold pressure on it in reverse (without changing its torque) and set the nut without over tightening. Remember the set nut tightening the last 1/tnth turn might also turn the screw. It took me a day

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The trick is to use the locking nut on the gib screw to set the pressure, it can be very time consuming and tedious but start in the middle and work outwards, after you set the screw hold pressure on it in reverse (without changing its torque) and set the nut without over tightening. Remember the set nut tightening the last 1/tnth turn might also turn the screw. It took me a day

This is one reason that I like those extended length Allen wrenches. They come in really handy when you are tightening up a lock nut.

Take a look at the dovetails in the bottom slide to see if they are wearing/cut evenly, just to be sure.

The second item is most set ups have 3 screws. The outside two adjust play, the inner one is for locking. (Took me a long time of learning/frustration to figure this out).

How I adjust is simple, snug up the center one first to allow smooth movement, followed by the other 2 to take out play and lock them down. Now use the middle one to control stiffness in movement as desired from lock it down to let it slide freely.

Even if the dovetail is worn unevenly, you can almost eliminate all play.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The gib strip being twisted shouldn't matter much, I mean it shouldn't be, but if it is, its likely thin enough that it wouldn't take a lot of force to flatten it. Not enough force anyway that you wouldn't be able to crank the handle.

Do what Bofobo suggests. Also pay attention to whether or its tight at point over its travel or all of its travel. The former suggets less than peferct parallism of the mating dovetail.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I dont agree with the "it just needs proper adjustment". In your original post you say it "rocks" when loose enough for easy movement, that would indicate to me that there is a high spot in either the dovetail or the gib, it could be either one. use a piece of glass (small mirror) to see if you can see any daylight showing. I would suggest using one of those small "carry with you hunting knife stones" to take the high spot down.
There is always going to be a bit of movement in a gib-dovetail setup....to eliminate it all would require the thing to be locked up as you already know happens but that rocking clearance is more than just a simple adjustment.