Gib adjusting torque

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm tweaking the Gibs on my knee mill. I'm using a 0.01mm indicator on the end of the table and it's basically not moving with serious heave-ho torque applied so really no slop at all. I temporarily attached a manual hand-wheel and it turns freely end to end (measured at 7-10 inch-lbs).

Turns freely is a subjective term, lacking experience I prefer an actual measurable range.

Can anyone provide a reasonable torque range to aim for?

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm tweaking the Gibs on my knee mill. I'm using a 0.01mm indicator on the end of the table and it's basically not moving with serious heave-ho torque applied so really no slop at all. I temporarily attached a manual hand-wheel and it turns freely end to end (measured at 7-10 inch-lbs).

Turns freely is a subjective term, lacking experience I prefer an actual measurable range.

Can anyone provide a reasonable torque range to aim for?
There's actually a calculation you can do:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_120242_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_120242_Gallery.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 16

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There's actually a calculation you can do:

I think that's an indeterminant equation. How do you integrate from i=1 to n when i doesn't appear as a variable in the equation and there are no available substitutions? Even rearranging terms leaves too many unknown variables to solve within the realm of plausible values. Maybe Dabbler could do it via multiple parallel successive approximations running on an infinite series oil patch simulator. I think Chrysler tested a transmission using that principle in the 60s or 70s.

Notwithstanding the obvious indeterminant term which cancels out anyway, the answer is 42 in-pounds. Everybody knows that!