• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Getting started.

After all the great info in the Prusa xl discussion, I've been looking and decided on the Ender 3 pro.
It's $16 more than the basic 3 model, and I get the upgraded frame, printing plate, and it's still fully upgradable to my understanding.
I'm just checking with you guys that this is a good starting point before I hit the pay icon.
Ken

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have an Ender 3v2. It's been absolutely flawless without a single upgrade.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I purchased a used ender3 pro a few months ago and have been happy with it, my experience has been the more I tinker sometimes the more troubles I have so have developed a more hands off approach unless there is a real problem. I have found parts and upgrades at a good price on banggood.

van123d

Personally, I consider auto bed levelling a must have upgrade. This can be added afterwards with BL touch, but consider that when comparing printers. If you buy a printer without ABL you will likely be adding it in the near future so for the price you may get a few additional upgrades going up a model.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I level the bed on my E3V2 maybe every 20-30 prints. For context, I printed all of the parts for two PrintNC routers (twenty separate parts, each part a 5-8 hour print) without levelling the bed once.

Thanks for the guidance.
My wife reads my posts on here and values the info from the members. Your approval helps me sell the ideas.
She says y'all seem like nice people.
I'm ordering right away,
Thanks,
Ken

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I think you'll be happy with the Ender 3 as an entry level machine. I know a few people that have had a lot of trouble free printing out of the box with theirs.

I'm glad my wife doesn't read any of the forums I post on. She'd start to figure out that other people actually finish projects, and then it would game over for me. "you mean that guy can do that in a day?, You've been working on that thing for months/years". lol.

The place I purchased from is trying to get me to sign up for cloud 3d print as a slicer. Is it a decent starting point?
I'm hoping to learn all about fusion 360 as a cad program to design ideas, if that makes a difference to which slicer is best to use.
Ken

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The place I purchased from is trying to get me to sign up for cloud 3d print as a slicer. Is it a decent starting point?
I'm hoping to learn all about fusion 360 as a cad program to design ideas, if that makes a difference to which slicer is best to use.
Ken
I've used the Prusa Slicer with great success in conjunction with Fusion360.

gerritv

Gerrit
fusion360->PrusSlicer for the win. The slicer comes with profiles for the Ender 3. And I think you can slice from within Fusion360 as well, not tried that yet.
Can't stand the Cura Gui design, and Simplify3D is missing in action. There is no need to pay for slicers. Further, with PrusaSlicer or Cura you can easily find someone to ask questions, no one I know uses Cloud 3D Print.

gerritv

Gerrit
I have a box of receipts from my purchases going back 25 years.
I'm even scared to tally it.
I'm also the only one that knows it's location!
I kept receipts for my Ferrari 308GT4 support, over the 10 years I had receipts for $26k, not including copious quantities of fuel. A bargain at $2600/year of fun.

My wife only reads the posts I show her, and she actually knows about my hidden receipt pile .
I think she'd rather not know the total either.
But then she hasn't gone without the things she wanted in life.
So we kinda live in blissful co enabler relationship.
It works

GregOston

Can explain how to choose a high-quality 3D printer? I've been wanting to dive into 3d printing for a long time, but I've never had enough time to figure out which one to choose.

Afternoon Greg,
If you read through the "New Prusa XL" discussion by Janger a few spots down the 3D forum main page and the above info, you should get a lot of answers. I've just received my Ender 3 Pro. I have some computer issues to work past, but it looks to be built very well.
Lots of others on the market too, but the guys on here directed me towards these and after numerous videos and articles I'm glad they did.
Good luck, your in good hands on this forum.
Ken