• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Getting Started (New Haul)

architect

Super User
Hi everyone,

I'm started on this forum interested in welding resource and tips but this has rapidly evolved to machining and tooling in general all thanks to @Brent H !

I started to look at taps and and various bits to compliment my welding. Brent led me to an ad that may contain a few of those things I needed. I took a 1.5 hour drive not knowing what to expect. It began as him asking $200 for taps but lead to this very nice man giving me everything after also realizing I'm trying to get started on the hobby.

I will be giving stuff to Brent for all his big help. Just want to thank everyone else so far that has responded to my threads and given me advice. I'm in process of now clearing my single home garage to make room for mills, presses and machines! I need quickly putting back together my one of my two motorcycles, a 1988 Yamaha FZR400, and move it into the backyard to make room for this new hobby! Dream goal is being able to fab custom parts and design and mod custom motorcycles

IMG-20201127-201755.jpg

IMG-20201128-123347.jpg

Excuse the mess it's quite embarrassing but I hope to have a better setup in a few months to show!

Last edited:

architect

Super User
Welcome to the forum and the obsession!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks David! Not as amazing as the haul you got for $1000 but I am happy.

I think after I agreed to the asking and that included a a bunch of other things he realized what he had left and didn't want to deal with all the Kijiji messages. He had listed parts for $1-2 a piece. Others have already came and took some other stuff like endmills and whatnot. So he decided it was worth just giving it to me to get started which I am very grateful for!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Great haul! My hobby beginnings started with a 1984 Honda Ascot, and wanting to make a set of cafe-racer clip-on bars........... which led to the Gingery "make your own machine shop from scrap"....... which led to a charcoal foundry, which led to an eletric kiln................. which led to obsession, selling my house, buying an acreage with a bigger shop and............................

No regrets. Welcome!