• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Fusion Tip entering dimensions

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I create fusion drawings in metric and imperial equally depending on what type of product I am creating.

When working in metric I often find I need to use imperial fasteners. I used to convert the fastener dimensions to metric outside of fusion and then enter that number into the fusion sketch. I've since learned that you can create imperial sketch entities in a metric drawing, or vice versa. Fusion auto-converts dimensions to the default unit selected for the project file.

There are provisos though. You have to enter the dimension shorthand immediately after the dimension with no spaces, and you can't enter fractional dimensions.

AlibreCAD allows you to show both dimension or select whether the drawings is in imperial or metric. If you decide to change it automatically changes primary dimensions. For example this is imperial with dual dimensions shown.
1726085431512.png

If I want to have primary metric I select File|Properties to get this dialog and change primary to Metric with 2 decimals.
1726085543949.png
and then after clicking on Apply the dialog closes and the drawing is changed. Notice the dual dimensions are still in metric too.
1726085615658.png
So in that same dialog I also have to change the alternate dimensions and precision to inches or feet or furlongs per fortnite.
1726085743990.png

It's also possible to just select one dimension, Right click on it and select properties, enable the dual dimensions and have just one in imperial.
1726085906460.png

AlibreCAD allows you to show both dimension or select whether the drawings is in imperial or metric. If you decide to change it automatically changes primary dimensions. For example this is imperial with dual dimensions shown.
View attachment 51619

If I want to have primary metric I select File|Properties to get this dialog and change primary to Metric with 2 decimals.
View attachment 51620
and then after clicking on Apply the dialog closes and the drawing is changed. Notice the dual dimensions are still in metric too.
View attachment 51621
So in that same dialog I also have to change the alternate dimensions and precision to inches or feet or furlongs per fortnite.
View attachment 51622

It's also possible to just select one dimension, Right click on it and select properties, enable the dual dimensions and have just one in imperial.
View attachment 51623

Oh that's nice. I wonder if fusion has a similar feature I may find if I look.

Does alibrecad offer embedded cam?

Oh that's nice. I wonder if fusion has a similar feature I may find if I look.

Does alibrecad offer embedded cam?
That's such a sad story there. It has a simple embedded CAM I believe. But in the past it collaborated with MecSoft and they produced a version called AlibreCAM. However, something happened and abruptly it was no longer available although I would be allowed to transfer my license and support to MecSoft. I tried that for a while but now it wouldn't accept native CAD. Only STEP files.

And because the CAM information isn't part of the data structure that makes up the AD_PART file a simple change like a depth of a slot or hole diameter in the CAD part means a new STEP file and that means all brand new CAM instructions.

I suspect that because Alibre continues to change the structure of their drawing files with every new version that MecSoft got tired of having to change their interface software every year. Also with the Version 25 I'm currently running I get an occasional error message that tells me I better save my data because of an incorrect reference. There might have been finger pointing between the two companies as to who is at fault.
1726104093236.png

Alibre changes their file format every year. That means if @DavidR8 sends me a AlibreATOM file it's in the Version 28 format. My Version 28 of AlibreCAD can load that as well as Alibre 25 versions. But there is no SaveAsVersion command so the moment I use Version 28 I can no longer use AlibreCAM.

MecSoft does make VisualCAD and the Companion VisualCAM but it's not even close to as good as AlibreCAD. No sheet metal for example.

They also have RhinoCAM that works with free form Rhinoceros

I've tried Fusion360 several times. Each time end up confused and run away screaming. Plus a 4th axis version like my AlibreCAD/CAM version costs more than maintenance on Alibre which has never confused me with drawing.

Attachments

• J1TEnsionRing-CAM.jpg
    J1TEnsionRing-CAM.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 1
That's such a sad story there. It has a simple embedded CAM I believe. But in the past it collaborated with MecSoft and they produced a version called AlibreCAM. However, something happened and abruptly it was no longer available although I would be allowed to transfer my license and support to MecSoft. I tried that for a while but now it wouldn't accept native CAD. Only STEP files.

And because the CAM information isn't part of the data structure that makes up the AD_PART file a simple change like a depth of a slot or hole diameter in the CAD part means a new STEP file and that means all brand new CAM instructions.

I suspect that because Alibre continues to change the structure of their drawing files with every new version that MecSoft got tired of having to change their interface software every year. Also with the Version 25 I'm currently running I get an occasional error message that tells me I better save my data because of an incorrect reference. There might have been finger pointing between the two companies as to who is at fault.
View attachment 51641

Alibre changes their file format every year. That means if @DavidR8 sends me a AlibreATOM file it's in the Version 28 format. My Version 28 of AlibreCAD can load that as well as Alibre 25 versions. But there is no SaveAsVersion command so the moment I use Version 28 I can no longer use AlibreCAM.

MecSoft does make VisualCAD and the Companion VisualCAM but it's not even close to as good as AlibreCAD. No sheet metal for example.

I've tried Fusion360 several times. Each time end up confused and run away screaming. Plus a 4th axis version like my AlibreCAD/CAM version costs more than maintenance on Alibre which has never confused me with drawing.
None of these companies care about accommodating the needs of old farts with tired brains.

The lack of simple easy is why I still haven't pulled the trigger on a cnc router, not even when I see cheap shapeoko ones for well under a grand

and Fusion goes up and up every year...

I have the hobby version installed on my desktop PC.

If you ever wonder about what it does or doesn't include, feel free to ask me to try different things. I'll try my best to help. Heck, I might even learn something.

In Penticton for my son's wedding so typing on phone is a pain.
I'm pretty sure the entry Alibre Atom can only place a rectangle with corners. I believe entry Fusion is the same.
With my Alibre I can place with the centre point of the rectangle. Then tab between vertical and horizontal lengths entering dimensions as say 1.000" or 25.4mm where the mm or " determines units.

In Penticton for my son's wedding so typing on phone is a pain.
I'm pretty sure the entry Alibre Atom can only place a rectangle with corners. I believe entry Fusion is the same.
With my Alibre I can place with the centre point of the rectangle. Then tab between vertical and horizontal lengths entering dimensions as say 1.000" or 25.4mm where the mm or " determines units.
fusion has center placement of rectangles. It is my primary mode of placement of rectangles.

View attachment 51641

I had trouble with Fusion 360 initially. I was going there from solidworks. I 100% got rid of solidworks for 2 reasons. It's too expensive and it was making learning fusion a lot harder. After that fusion was a lot easier to use.

As for the price I am what they call an early adopter. The annual subscription price that I pay is locked in for life as long as I never let my subscription expire.

Sounds like my kind of deal. Mind telling us what that costs you?
I had to look up last years bill to see. It's $405 CDN for a year. Not cheap but It's pretty good software. It's not as good as solidworks but the maintenance costs alone for Solidworks would probably be triple the cost for fusion and it includes both CAD and CAM.

Does the CAM G-Code generator support a 4th or 5th Axis?
Technically yes but with a big but. It supports rotary indexing as is. It will rotate a set number of degrees then stop and execute a tool path. Milling, drill etc. That will work for anything I have planned. If you want the X, Y, Z and A axis to rotate and machine simultaneously then you have to purchase something called an "extension". These are very expensive. If you only need the extension for a one time use for a day you can rent it but even then the cost is kind of high. Still that might be worth the rental for a one time use

Back