Fusion for file translation... etc (import from Catia)

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I was looking for a little challenge today. I want to Grabcad to find a plastic part to work with to keep up with mold design-surfacing skills. I came across this facia that is drawn in Catia (linked below). I then tried to import it into my paid software packages. Well of course, both Mastercam and Siemens want more money for that module. WTH, I though well lets see if it is possible in Fusion 360. Long story short... here is the screenshot.. Also proof with it into NX

So my evaluation so far of whether I will pay Autodesk is YES, because of..

1/ translators
2/ 3D machining capabilities, and umpteen million posts
3/ fastener library

Merry Christmas!! a free part translator.. (well, 150 for 3 years almost free)...

Next, now a partingline shall become.... Thanks to Autodesk, GrabCad, and the part designer (Nishanth kumar)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    870.7 KB · Views: 8
  • key143.104.jpg
    key143.104.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot (176).png
    Screenshot (176).png
    170.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    233.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Rough block-out done. Comes in at about 45000 pound for cavity block. Still needs a lot of part cleanup to remove tiny surfaces, and a few undercuts-low draft angles.. It is Turkey time now..

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    93.9 KB · Views: 10

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
V2 Updated partingline (more to go)

Partingline sweetened.. small undercuts removed... all derived from part geometry, no sketches..

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 3

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
V3 Updated partingline

At this point partingline is simplified by adding flats and locks. This is at the level where this would be going for block approval.. On big blocks like this you need to get Iron ordered ASAP. Goal is while it is in transit, the design gets finished. These blocks are starting out at 46,000 pounds.

Attachments

• raw weight.PNG
    raw weight.PNG
    80.8 KB · Views: 8
  • cavity-sizes.PNG
    cavity-sizes.PNG
    107.6 KB · Views: 7
  • cavity-block.PNG
    cavity-block.PNG
    123.9 KB · Views: 7
  • core-sizes.PNG
    core-sizes.PNG
    108.2 KB · Views: 9
  • core-block.PNG
    core-block.PNG
    128.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice CAD work. Would these be cavity type molds for plastic type injection or do they press/shape some kind of sheet stock material?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Nice CAD work. Would these be cavity type molds for plastic type injection or do they press/shape some kind of sheet stock material?
This is a Plastic Injection Mold. The other type you asked about is called Compression Mold. Compression is more commonly used for rubber like material or thermoset plastic.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Ughhh, It feels like all I've been doing the past year is fixtures for plastic parts, and here you are playing with them for fun :D.

I haven't done a full fascia fixture in a while, but did do a couple smaller fascia inserts lately. I've had my fill of plastics, and can't wait to get back on big stampings.....

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Ughhh, It feels like all I've been doing the past year is fixtures for plastic parts, and here you are playing with them for fun :D.

I haven't done a full fascia fixture in a while, but did do a couple smaller fascia inserts lately. I've had my fill of plastics, and can't wait to get back on big stampings.....
I was bored.. This is just about 7 hours of playtime so far.. I am procrastinating my real homework because of the holidays... I have a list to get done in the next 10 days !!

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I see you answered the question later on.

Would you typically make up a prototype before committing to machining the mould?
They do not make prototypes of this kind of part. This is late in the stage. A very cosmetic part, and so by the time this is made, all testing is done and they are ready for production. This would be a very expensive mold no doubt. I am going to do some more sweetening. Before customer review, is an internal review, where the plant manager and others suggest some changes...

I also need to get some real work done this week so this might be on HOLD for a short time till the part changes come down..

Quick update. Raw material for entire mold not including machining on plates is over 100000 pounds..
Also, here is a screenshot of similar steel from a company that really makes these monsters..

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    176.8 KB · Views: 12
  • omega.PNG
    omega.PNG
    566.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do they ever repurpose mold blocks like that to utilize the material when designs get changed or become redundant or whatever? What would be a typical alloy?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Do they ever repurpose mold blocks like that to utilize the material when designs get changed or become redundant or whatever? What would be a typical alloy?
A part change, they might be able to make an insert or weld it. If its too big a change, it would scrap the block. The block have many holes drilled in it for water and other things, so not so easy to do anything major. I would think the molds are meant to run 7-10 years, and product 1 million parts.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I really don't know about re-purposing. They can do changes if it can be inserted or welded. Material used on Molds is usually P20. I have provided a link to that material. In some special cases. stainless could be used. Big blocks like this would be special order (cast). Lead time can be large depending..

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was more wondering out loud if one encountered this kind of stock in the form of scrap or offcuts could it be utilized in home shop. You know, because 98% of cars will be electric & self driving by next August so the recycle bins will be overflowing haha (oops the political warning light just flashed amber, better stop). But I think this would be pretty tough stuff to deal with. I've seen industry offcuts on Ebay & the like, but you have to know what you're dealing with. I scored some nice 2024 & 7075 aluminum blocks that way, but its pretty straightforward.

1703708662074.png

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
This evening I finished making adjustments to the Partingline and pushed it down to the cavity block (so far. This is ready to rough... In answer to questions about offcuts. This block is getting over 21,000 pounds removed from it. Not sure if they could do some saw cuts do to its size... Just for colour coding..
grey = part
green = seal-off
blue = clearance

Attachments

• CV-RUFF.PNG
    CV-RUFF.PNG
    262.2 KB · Views: 7

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I have gone a bit further today. The core is ready to rough... I have been looking at ejection and found some examples. In all cases, they use an H pattern ejection plate with they hydraulics on the side... Also the clamp plates are cut to the same length as blocks, no overhang.. I was looking at press specs, the best I could, and this will need to go into a 4000 ton or better press... Note these molds are Chineseum, and so they are skimpier that what we build in Windsor..

All, good practice, and something to show for my design page.. free domain part-turned mold design..

Now I need to get my paying job done in the next two days before a trial license expires for Mach3 NX.. Scanned statue-clean data-miniature 1/2 scale.. very detailed.. and PAID IN FULL.

Attachments

• CR-RUFF.PNG
    CR-RUFF.PNG
    219.1 KB · Views: 6
  • example1.PNG
    example1.PNG
    646.3 KB · Views: 6
  • example2.PNG
    example2.PNG
    485.8 KB · Views: 4
  • example3.PNG
    example3.PNG
    306.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's pretty impressive. About how long would it take to CNC from raw block form to the finished shape shown?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
That's pretty impressive. About how long would it take to CNC from raw block form to the finished shape shown?
Mastercam surface pocket rough with a 3 inch cutter stepping down a 0.2 / cut is about 25 hours flat out... In reality, it probably would take longer, as you would need to pick out some., change inserts, have lunch, change shifts twice.

They would like use a Parpas with 4 or 5 inch cutter and take 3/8 at one time for the initial blast.

Attachments

• cut-core0.PNG
    cut-core0.PNG
    331.9 KB · Views: 6
  • cut-core1.PNG
    cut-core1.PNG
    290.3 KB · Views: 6