• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Freehand turning

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I saw that on the model engineering forum. I can think of a few applications including my radial project. I had to make 5 intake nozzles with kind of a venturi bell mouth shape. Another example is maybe my nose case which has a elliptical-ish section that doesn't lend itself to a Radii tool. I was thinking of making a 2D template, line it up under the blank & it acts as a shape stop for the cutter base. Just taking light progressive cuts. Hopefully I'll only be making one nose cases so I ended up generating a table of X-Y intercept coordinates. After roughing the 'steps' it gets filed & smoothed. But its a longer process. A gadget like that might be better for these 'analog' cnc applications, not just freehand ornamental work. Just watch the fingers LOL.

Attachments

• SNAG-5-31-2018 0000.jpg
    SNAG-5-31-2018 0000.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 3
  • SNAG-5-31-2018 0001.jpg
    SNAG-5-31-2018 0001.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Ive watched Chris on the Youtube channel Clickspring do actual freehand turning at 3:30 in this video is an example

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ya the Clickspring freehand method is essentially how I did my venturi's by eye, although I have yet to make a proper steady bar or whatever you call it. But if the curvy shape has to conform to something semi-accurately, then 100% freehand gets a bit iffy. You would have to hold up a template or something I guess to compare progress or something like that.

The Eccentric method is also an ornamental/freehand, but it has the capability of being something more precise & repeatable with just a 2D template, kind of like a 1:1 pantograph follower principle. But I have to figure how to make a good base plate datum, that's an integral feature.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
ya the ball turner takes a bit of time to set up properly, both in terms of tool radius & positioned to the work. I'm talking for close tolerance dimensions. But there also can be some substantial cutting forces in the operation especially with steel & that's why the frame is pretty heavy duty, the axle fits are quite snug & a big long lever handle to traverse the tool with control. Even though its typically shallow cuts, its pretty much the same cutting forces involved as our carriage & cross slide which has a lot of stability & rigidity. Simple round-overs & chamfers with hand files & de-burring tools I do all the time, but I'd be a bit careful with my fingers close to the action end of these freehand profiling tools. All it would take is an inadvertent dig-in & tools go flying.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
It would be not much different than a wood lathe i suspect, A smaller tool than a 12"x1/2"x1" steel cutting tool with a 12" handle and i do not suggest trying to round a square with it in the same way but I would use any of the methods myself. Though i would rather build this contraption than a ball turner, i have aspirations to make a chess set and consistency is desirable. although i seen a video recently, i cannot remember who's, but they used a dial indicator on the compound to create consistant repeatable representations of a radius mounted (i believe on the bed) in a manner similar to a duplicator attachment for a wood lathe. My eyes are crossing looking for it to share unfortunately