• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Forgive me, I have sinned.

I have been told that as retirement closes in on us, we will need something to occupy the passing time. So, I recently took a stroll into the twisted world of wood. And by that, I mean if you don't like the twist, just wait a few minutes and it will take a whole new bend..... Cut it off just a little too short? That's okay, just wait a minute, it's starting to rain, it'll fit soon enough..... for a little while.
For a first project, I heard that a bird house might be a good start...... Be damned if I want to build another...too finicky and wood is best used in the stove for winter heat. ;)

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
A bird house can be a good start as long as it isn't a purple martin house.
My wife conned me into building one a couple of years ago.
3 1/2 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and a 14 foot metal post with a boat winch attached for raising and lowering it!
Never again. Stick with tin cans on the top of a fence post.

I know right..... I believe there's supposed to be a moral to the story..... Something about free or some such.....:rolleyes:

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Did I mention that I got some free chickens?
Still have a little finishing to do, but the girls have a new home and I have some expensive eggs for breakfast....:cool:
Looks good! And eggs from your own chickens taste way better than store-bought.

My favourite quote from Mr. Pete is (paraphrased), "I could have bought this for $12, but I was able to make it myself with $20,000 worth of machines and tooling."

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think we all “sin” once in a while. There is something to be said about the quick and easy workability of wood.

Consider this: your project also involved metal working - just look at that nice metal roof, those hinges and the door latches. All’s not lost. You are forgiven.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For a first project, I heard that a bird house might be a good start...... Be damned if I want to build another...too finicky and wood is best used in the stove for winter heat. ;)

If working with wood is a sin the it's no wonder I get hot all the time. You think working with wood is a sin? How about working with wood on a metal lathe or on a Bridgeport!

I absolutely love Purple Martins. We have had a full condominium (16 adults) for the last 5 years. A slow increase before that. Buy the aluminium house and pay the kid at the place you bought it a Kings ransom to put it together for you. It will keep him off the street for months.

20220501_134629.jpg

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
If working with wood is a sin the it's no wonder I get hot all the time. You think working with wood is a sin? How about working with wood on a metal lathe or on a Bridgeport!

I absolutely love Purple Martins. We have had a full condominium (16 adults) for the last 5 years. A slow increase before that. Buy the aluminium house and pay the kid at the place you bought it a Kings ransom to put it together for you. It will keep him off the street for months.

View attachment 26594
I love having the martins around. They aren't too noisy and tend not to shart on everything in sight, unlike their swallow cousins.
But building the condo was a running joke. Takes two of us to lift it up. If this one fills up we'll hang some gourds instead of building another subdivsion.

I think we all “sin” once in a while. There is something to be said about the quick and easy workability of wood.

Consider this: your project also involved metal working - just look at that nice metal roof, those hinges and the door latches. All’s not lost. You are forgiven.
Phewww, thanks. I don't get much shop time this time of the year, unless I broke something...... Ok, I guess I do get a little bit of shop time, it just isn't "play time".
Turns out that I am a bit of an outside dog and am barely house broke, so when the weather improves, I am turned out for the season. This might account for some of the lacking social skills. :p
It's funny though, the German Shepherd spends most of his days lounging around in the air conditioned house, while the Mennonite mutt spends his in the sun making chicken coops and such.....:oops::rolleyes:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Free chickens are the same as a free puppy.
:)
I was offered a free puppy a month ago from my daughter. The day before her hound had an appointment with a knife happy vet he got a wiff of something hot across the field at the neighbors place and a liter of small stinky dogs was the result....but I told her that if I got a dog for the yard, the deer would quit coming right in to be butchered and I much prefer venison to fresh dog so the deer won over..

As for woodworking on machine tooling....if it cuts it goes in my machine whether its soft or hard. I use my mill often for morticing out tang bedding grooves in wood...my wood-metal joints aint factory perfect by a long shot but they are serviceable.