• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Forge burners

JuanH

Hello fellas, I have a question, I’m trying to tune up my furnace, at the moment is running with a weed burner but I’m trying to upgrade for something better, I just changed the for a 30 psi propane regularícelo but I’m debating to switch the burner. What do you guys think of those 3? I’m trying to make some bronze btw 9AB199D3-1502-4D7C-93D6-6BB2FF62BB07.png B219B44F-2903-47E7-8BBC-FE05E30ED9EF.png B55E45BE-99A8-4507-8DD3-63E79F32696C.png

Tom O

Ultra Member
Will you be using a blower or the naturally aspired type? I’ve used the blower type with good success. E22FBD1C-3278-4969-9B3D-D0E3962FFF8A.jpeg

Johnwa

Ultra Member

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’ve cast some parts for a steam engine that’s about it for brass so far it melted fast enough with the forced air.

JuanH

I’ve cast some parts for a steam engine that’s about it for brass so far it melted fast enough with the forced air.
What you know, I just got a blower. ;)
Any of them will be a vast improvement over a weed burner. They appear to be knock offs of the Riel burner designs and are pretty easy to make out of regular pipe fittings from Home Depot. https://ronreil.abana.org/design1.shtml
A more efficient and hotter burner design is in Mike Porters burner book. Here’s a link to some discussion which includes Mike’s recommendation to download a pirated version.
https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/47567-mikes-burner-design/
thanks a lot. I’ll check it out.

JuanH

Tom, I saw your profile. I live in Calgary too. (Bowness), I won’t mind to pick your mind one of these days.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’m still learning as I go but no problem I picked up a jewelry type centrifical casting machine off kijiji last year too that I haven’t tried yet.

JuanH

I’m still learning as I go but no problem I picked up a jewelry type centrifical casting machine off kijiji last year too that I haven’t tried yet.
We can cast one of my designs. I won a littler or castable 3d resin.

Attachments

• 1658E562-18CE-4270-BA2E-495BE091E3DC.jpeg
    1658E562-18CE-4270-BA2E-495BE091E3DC.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 7
  • BB68A6FE-051F-464F-8D05-D3592838C5E0.jpeg
    BB68A6FE-051F-464F-8D05-D3592838C5E0.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 7

Tom O

Ultra Member
Those look good I have a 2 ounce vodka bottle of a skull that fits perfectly in the hand I want to cast it for tapping in work pieces. The problem is that now the foxes are living under my shed I don’t want to disturb them that much. I thought she lost one and was down to 2 pups but today I saw 4 pups with the mom! Really cool!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Here is a orifice / btu chart for natural gas and propane although it’s not needed if you can regulate the gas flow.

9DC58B89-DD3D-4949-A522-4802078D8F01.png

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Hey, so you may benefit from a quick tour and info session at my place as well (also in bowness) I’ve got some suggestions you would benefit from for sure.
Tom, I saw your profile. I live in Calgary too. (Bowness), I won’t mind to pick your mind one of these days.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Those look good I have a 2 ounce vodka bottle of a skull that fits perfectly in the hand I want to cast it for tapping in work pieces. The problem is that now the foxes are living under my shed I don’t want to disturb them that much. I thought she lost one and was down to 2 pups but today I saw 4 pups with the mom! Really cool!

Critters can sometimes be a problem but in general I'm a nature lover and do some of the same kinds of things. Eg keeping the grandkids away from the fox den on the ridge, nobody is allowed to use the front door because a pair of Carolina wrens had nested there, etc etc.

My biggest issues are the racoons that keep trying to dig through the roof shingles, and the house sparrows that kill my purple Martin nestlings. In those cases, I do what I gotta do.

My hat is off to you @Tom O!

JuanH

Hey, so you may benefit from a quick tour and info session at my place as well (also in bowness) I’ve got some suggestions you would benefit from for sure.
I sent you a direct msg ;) i just got my 3 d printer I want to tune it up and start working in some cool designs