• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

For when you want a used lathe for the price of a new one

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
It's maybe a little better deal if it comes with the stand, but still.
I'd rather buy it new and at least have a warrantee for that price.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Nah there are way worse things on FB - I wish they had a LOL sign I could attach to them.

There is a small Atlas for $5000. LOL.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It’s all supply and demand!

Maybe no lathes in Regina? No BB, no King Canada sellers. Shipping cost crazy from the nearest suppliers, etc.

Here is a good recent example:

I needed a #4 JIC to 1/4” NPT adapter. The regular length one is $1.40, the 1/2” longer one is $41.00. Why? Because the regular length one is sold by the dozens a week and the longer one once in a blue moon. I could have made one myself - problem was I had a leak and needed one now. So $41.00 it was.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Nah shipping on a small lathe like this is free from say Amazon. Also in Calgary we are not so desperate to get an Atlas. Unless looking for a crazy people these will sit there and not sell... for years.

Its not supply & demand its looking out for victims to rob. I may buy and sell stuff to make little $ on the side but I would never gauge anyone - If I buy at a great price I sell at a good price.

The King seller may have given 2500 b/c for some unknown reason everyone needs few hundred $ off. So if he wants you to save on tax + 100 + stand (say 100 value) AND counts in you will ask for $300 off the actual price is reasonable. You are getting $600+ off new price for say machine used few times... better inspect for no crashes.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Maybe no lathes in Regina?

I know they had fire and water back when I left there in 1995. My dad got a bank card last year too, perhaps lathes are next?

Of course, I'm making fun here, born and raised, 80% of my family is still there, still get food thrown at me at Stampeder/Rider games. For the right price, everything I have is for sale. Sometimes people show up with cash and you can't say no. Like 110V Lincoln welders at auctions -- you can but it cheaper NEW at home depot.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
There are a few dealers in Regina that sell King Canada. I know one for sure can order in metal working equipment, but they mainly on stock woodworking equipment. They did have some metalworking equipment but it does not seem to move quickly so they don't stock here.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
There are a few dealers in Regina that sell King Canada. I know one for sure can order in metal working equipment, but they mainly on stock woodworking equipment. They did have some metalworking equipment but it does not seem to move quickly so they don't stock here.
Great Western Saw.
They probably make more coin selling 600 dollar Festool jigsaws, lol

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was sad to see Luke's Machinery close up in Saskatoon, used to spend a fair bit of cash there. Busy Bee had a store in Saskatoon for a while but it closed to. Not much in the way of dealers that you can walk into.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I know that some of the high schools in eastern sask that have apprenticeship programs sourced lathes from modern tool in Calgary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
that one is speculative priceing at its worst.
Maybe, but that tiny charitable part of me remaining would like to think it is more optimistic than speculative. It is for sale at the airport in Regina and the airport is on the brink of running out of money due to covid travel restrictions. I can't help but think that some of the smaller flying services are hurting as well. If this guy works there, I feel for him. It looks like too new of a machine to have been picked up for a song at some auction or estate sale and then flipped like so much other stuff on Facebook marketplace. Still a silly asking price though.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It is a sad and hard situation for them amd many others. A likely outcome is that they will drive away buyers that want to pay a fair price and may end up with less return because of it.