• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

For everyone that uses a file...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Princes auto has Felton file brushes on sale for a steal. They are made in Canada, have a steel side for taking out those stubborn aluminum bits from your files, as well as a stiff nylon side for getting out iron and other detritus from your files. If you don't have a file brush (sometimes called a "file card", they are under 8 bucks at PA right now:

IMO one of the very best units for the purpose.... I've had a Felton for 30 years, and it was finally getting worn, so I jusr got my second and last Felton file brush!

One comment if you are going to use a file brush, go to the dollar store and buy sidewalk chalk aka the cheap version of file chalk (and it comes in colors, sharing with kids/grandkids is optional ;)).

Both used together greatly increase performance and life of the file without causing and other issues.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I might be the only guy who doesn't particularly care for the classic style of file brush. Must be something I'm doing wrong which would come as no surprise LOL. But I think I work with finer teeth files more often & many are like checked pattern or whatever the Swiss call them vis straight groove cut. I have a stainless & brass version of brush that looks something like this but I think a notch up quality wise. I usually start with brass just to be a bit kinder to the teeth. The narrower profile allows me to work certain areas with more control where it needs vs the file card 3cm wide swath or slightly angling the brush to get the edge bristles engaged. File card bristles are very short, probably for a reason. The handle style bristles are longer which makes them feel a bit softer, but it seems to get most debris out. I think the trick is clean more often rather than allow chips to pack tighter & tighter. Aluminum can be sticky. I've tried the chalk or talc treatment, it seems to help.

1689706642570.png

Tom O

Ultra Member
One comment if you are going to use a file brush, go to the dollar store and buy sidewalk chalk aka the cheap version of file chalk (and it comes in colors, sharing with kids/grandkids is optional ;)).

Both used together greatly increase performance and life of the file without causing and other issues.
I was wondering how many if any of us used chalk for filing.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I use an old piece of welders marking chalk. It is the only chalk I had handy when I was filing something and have not gone looking for anything else. Not sure if its the right kind of chalk, but it seemed to work on my cheapy files. Haven't brought myself to use the better files yet as I am usually filing something that is not very clean.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I’ve been thinking about getting some more files. Some good ones- though I can’t decide what brand is actually good, and what I need to add to my hodgepodge collection.

I’ve never tried sidewalk chalk.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Thanks for the link @YYCHM , I hadn’t thought of Lee Valley. I have been thinking about Grobet files but I suspect the cost is not worth it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well 'worth' is such a relative term because money is involved. But but the ones I bought are so nice to use. They actually cut & stay in that condition for a long time. I just don't think the N-Am brand names we were accustomed to in prior decades are much to write home about these days. So 2 or 3 dull sh*tty files don't equal one good one. I mean if you are knocking off rust or prepping something to be welded, who cares, invest the money elsewhere. But filing to hit dimensions & where more control is required.... they cost more because they are better. Sample a few, maybe sizes or styles you might not already have & just evaluate for yourself. Now I have heard that Grobet has also changed manufacturing facility, but AFAIK its not code word for sell out to substandard manufacturing. I cant say if I have old or new, they are 4-5 years old now. There are also other good quality Swiss-type files, trouble is most through USA distributers so FX & dinger fees. I've also seen them in Europe but I've found they are quite protective of distributership zones. Avoid Amazon & Ebay unless a known reputable seller, many are lookalike scams. Gesswein Canada sells but I'm personally kind of so-so on that place. they never seem to have stock until 3 weeks after you order if you get my drift.