For all you Radio Control buffs

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wonder if he will get that ask or even close.

I always thought the value of an RC plane was in the building of it since it would most likely die from meeting an immovable object under the force of gravity. Why anyone would want to buy a pre-built at that price for that purpose is beyond me.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I think he’s dreaming in technicolor.

At the most I’d give him $500 for the model and whatever the engines and radio are worth second hand.

But if you’ve not developed the ability to build a model this nice yourself, then $6k may be a steal? Still seems too expensive by several thousand.

I’ve seen some of the jet models where each engine is in the thousands of dollars. They always seem to catch fire when they hit the ground in the videos I’ve seen.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I fly RC whirly birds - both drones and collective pitch. Sooner or later they all beat themselves to death doing the proverbial dying chicken or they divorce you and disappear over the horizon and then do the dying chicken privately.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't fly scale but here are 2 +/- similar listings. Ads only show initial price, not actual sell price. RC toys are kind of like everything else out there, the market determines what they are worth. Cant imagine the kit was cheap 3K? I see the engines listed at 475 USD per. Servos, construction, paint... I made a nose leg extension for my buddy's turbine nose retract leg, he told me the set was 1K new but he was so pleased to get a nice used set for $400. All CNC, very nicely made, even has brakes. Its like that saying of how to make a small fortune - your start with a large fortune & get into <pick one> toy airplanes, race cars, a boat, golf, boom-boom sticks... etc. etc.

1706380317619.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Like I say, I don't fly scale so I don't know for sure. Looks like Yellow company is no more? The Ziroli you referenced is a similar size/model but looks like a laser cut wood 'short kit' vs link of Yellow, kit is glass components & other more prefab components. Not sure about included hardware vs what is thrown in. I'm not judging price, just saying its a different kit.

1706382375750.png

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Looks like Yellow company is no more?
If it’s built from a kit like the one above, yes I agree that’s going to be significantly more expensive.

That’s like an Almost Ready to Cover type kit?

When I was a boy I had to make a raft out of balsa trees, paddle it back to Australia and cut the sheets of balsa using a dull pen-knife and sand them to size on the road. How things have changed…

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If it’s built from a kit like the one above, yes I agree that’s going to be significantly more expensive.

The FB ad says Yellow Aircraft, the kit manufacturer's name. So there is no 'if'. The term ARC is more-so used with open frame woodies, laser cut type models, typically predominantly iron on covering, sometimes a glass cowl or landing gear included, sometimes not. Generally less expensive. The Yellow AC kit is mostly glass, so came from molds. The wings look pre-sheeted balsa over foam, typical for the era. They would typically be glassed & then everything gets primed & painted, in this case added weathering, insignias, all that scale stuff...

You should have hung onto your balsa raft, it would be worth a fortune.

1706384957596.png

Perry

Ultra Member
Any one in the Calgary area that has grand kids, kids or is maybe himself a kid that would be interested in a "vintage" Gentle Lady Glider? It has a Cox. 049 power pod to get it up there, and a "vintage" two Channel remote. All I want for it, is that it goes to someone who will enjoy it.

It will need a little dust removed from it and some minor things to get it in the air.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Any one in the Calgary area that has grand kids, kids or is maybe himself a kid that would be interested in a "vintage" Gentle Lady Glider? It has a Cox. 049 power pod to get it up there, and a "vintage" two Channel remote. All I want for it, is that it goes to someone who will enjoy it.

It will need a little dust removed from it and some minor things to get it in the air.

Good luck finding some place in/near Calgary where you can legally fly it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good luck finding some place in/near Calgary Canada where you can legally fly it above 400'AGL until the Government mess gets resolved

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
So there is no 'if'.
Fair enough. $3k just seems an unbelievable amount of money. I guess if I didn’t like building and I had only a small amount of time, spending $2k (difference between a flat kit and the fiberglass kit) would be an easier decision.
Canada where you can legally fly it above 400'AGL until the Government mess gets resolved
Does that mean that transponders like those which are needed in the US are now required?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Fair enough. $3k just seems an unbelievable amount of money. I guess if I didn’t like building and I had only a small amount of time, spending $2k (difference between a flat kit and the fiberglass kit) would be an easier decision.

Composites is a very different style of production. I've done quite a bit of it. Making plugs & molds & layups & bagging & resins... it costs money & involves specialized labor. The incentive is that once a mold is made, each part comes out like the one before it (until the molds wear out, another expense). But its an up front investment that must be paid out. Composites are better when the model has swervy 3D / compound curves, panels, doors... scale shapes that were aluminum skins the FS planes. Replicating that with stick & block building is lower material cost, significantly more time effort & often higher weight &/or lower strength. It certainly can be done & still is on many world class models, but interest & skills is sadly in decline. Scale guys are all about how close the model looks to the real thing (static judging) even before the flight judging occurs. Having said this, there is nothing particularly high tech about the Yellow AC kit, but in all fairness I'm sure I first saw a kit late 80's / early 90's when jets were coming in. Might be wrong but I believe they came out of Asia. Current high end moldy's typically produced from CNC milled molds with latest in fabrics & core materials.

We don't know what is in store for us, 'discussions' are ongoing & they are tight lipped. (Deep, nasty subject, not going to get into it here). But AFAIK the USA path, which is yet another can of worms, is not actively being pursued here to my knowledge. Fingers crossed. The hobby has taken a serious kick to the chops.

jorogi

That’s like an Almost Ready to Cover type kit?

When I was a boy I had to make a raft out of balsa trees, paddle it back to Australia and cut the sheets of balsa using a dull pen-knife and sand them to size on the road. How things have changed…
At least paddling to Australia is down hill, whiner.