• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Flushing the stubborn Turdo

Ironman

Ultra Member
I had recently bought a high toilet as the little 14 inch ones have you crouched over like a dog loving a football. I think the best toilet made is an American Standard, but this tall one is not good. It was over $300 at Homeless Despot and had a lot of nice features that my wife liked for cleaning.
But 60% of the time it won't get rid of a turd. It has a huge water tank, but has been tortured by environmentalists. I noted that there is room to increase the height of water in the tank by 4 inches. But they put the level down to where you have to flush twice and use double the water to get it to do it's job, and sometimes 3 flushes if you have to use the toilet plunger. And that is often. So, I figured a way to get rid of the Green.
I measured the OD of the overflow tube, and the ID of a bit of 1.25" ABS pipe. There was 50 thou difference, I figured an O ring would seal it. I machined a couple of grooves inside the ABS and pooped in some 3/32" O rings. This made a sliding friction fit on the overflow pipe. I pushed it onto the overflow riser and jacked the float up as much as I could. This gave me an extra inch of water in the tank.
There has not been a need to double flush once in two weeks. If I need a higher level, I could replace the float with one of those diaphragm valves that close by the weight of water above them, and raise the water level higher.

Attachments

• DSC05763.JPG
    DSC05763.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC05764.JPG
    DSC05764.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 8

mickeyf

...back on topic...sorta. The volume of flush water is only one variable. If you look at the specs, you'll see that the better models have a larger diameter trap (2 in. or even more), and in the cheaper (cheapest, maybe) the trap is not even glazed like the more visible parts. The speed of the jet in some models is accelerated or at least directed to push the contents more directly into and down the trap rather than just kinda swirling around the bowel. Some years back Toto was considered top of the line, but I think they've fallen behind.

You people DO care about technology, right? ;)

Ironman

Ultra Member
The speed of the jet in some models is accelerated or at least directed to push the contents more directly into and down the trap rather than just kinda swirling around the bowel. Some years back Toto was considered top of the line, but I think they've fallen behind.
Which is exactly why I like American Standard. But all the technology and design, fails to work without water.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You people DO care about technology, right? ;)

Actually yes.

To be serious, which isn't easy for topics like this, we have 3 toilets in our house and one in the shop. None of them work worth a crap except one of them. Most are too small or too low to the ground. The only good one requires regular maintenance. It has enough flush water, but the jet calcifies and then it won't flush. Ream out the jet once a month or so and it works fine.

The others need to be replaced. The sooner the better. But what do you buy? I don't want to have to clean jets once a month and I don't want to sit on a toilet with my knees over my ears.

I don't give a rats poop about conserving water. I want that stuff gone with one flush.

So what does one buy to accomplish that? Surely somebody makes a good one!

Ironman

Ultra Member
I don't give a rats poop about conserving water. I want that stuff gone with one flush.

So what does one buy to accomplish that? Surely somebody makes a good one!
Here is one close to what I have but mine is not round but elongated bowl. You need a lime removal system on the well water, but failing that solution, have you tried a HCL flush? basically once a week dump some in your bowl and also in the tank. After leaving the bowl sit for an hour, shut off the water and flush the tank. You got a fresh dose in the bowl and the older neutralized stuff is replaced. Regular deliming will keep this stuff from building up.

I can hear the tribe squawking, but with the level of lime in your water a 1000 gal septic tank will easily handle a couple liters of full strength HCL. If you want a good toilet with out the environmental nonsense, get one from Mexico. There is a large market for Mexican toilets in the USA.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Just dug up my model of crapper and noticed among the "benefits" was this:
WaterSense-labeled: uses at least 20% less water. So to make it work as designed you need to add 20% more water, by double flushing:rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You need a lime removal system on the well water, but failing that solution, have you tried a HCL flush?

As luck would have it, there was a rural hospital near my farm once upon a time. So I have lake water here - no well. The water is beautiful. I think the calcification is from grandkids not flushing after they dump.

I want nothing to do with a double flusher or a water saver. A 10 gallon flush should work fine. Wouldn't even need the jet with that.