• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Fixing Moen faucet with no new parts or hardware store trips

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a single handle Moen faucet - like all faucets it eventually needs maintenance. It was dripping and spurting every time you used it. I looked at youtube and mostly saw people buying parts and putting them in. Also people, with various degrees of success, were trying to get Moen to send them parts. But what is wrong with the valve? Mine has one of those ceramic insert styles cartridges. No o-rings, or washers, and it is ridiculously expensive. So I took mine down to bits and started cleaning everything with vinegar, soaking parts in hot microwaved vinegar, scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Also put vinegar in the faucet top. No parts had any visible wear. There was limescale on everything - including the threads. I think the original install of the cartridge was just a bit loose (is that a factory oversight? or you have to be pretty smart to be so dumb? :oops:) So after cleaning it all up and putting it back together it works, no drips. I think limescale was just preventing the parts from mating closely together and water was running through the threads and out the top.

1714943024724.png

Ironman

Ultra Member
You do realize of course, that all Moen parts are free for life, if you own a Moen faucet.
The first time I went for parts and found that out made me a customer forever, and I have twice since gone in for free parts from Home Depot and Revy.
I have never paid for a cartridge ever.

Ironman

Ultra Member

Does Moen Have Lifetime Warranty? Product Benefits and Coverage Explained​

By George Orwell UpdatedNovember 12, 2023

Does Moen Have Lifetime Warranty?
Yes, Moen offers a lifetime warranty on their faucets for the original consumer purchaser.
This warranty guarantees that the faucets will be leak- and drip-free.
The warranty extends to homeowners for as long as they own their home, and for non-homeowners, the warranty period is 5 years from the original date of purchase.
Moen will provide free replacement parts to fix any leaks or drips during the warranty period, as long as proof of purchase is provided.
The warranty does not cover defects or damages caused by non-genuine Moen parts, installation errors, product abuse, product misuse, or certain cleaners.
Labor charges, installation, repair or replacement costs, and indirect, incidental or consequential damages are not covered.

Warranty Coverage For Moen Products​

Moen, a reputable manufacturer of faucets and bathroom fixtures, offers a comprehensive warranty that guarantees their products to be leak- and drip-free for the lifetime of the original consumer purchaser. This warranty reflects Moen’s commitment to producing high-quality and durable products that can withstand the test of time.

trevj

Ultra Member
I kinda like yer style John!

I inherited a 50 pound bag of Citric Acid Crystals, so THAT is my go-to acid for de-calcifying anything that needs it. A couple tablespoons in to the kettle or the dishwasher, makes a difference too.

FWIW, Citric Acid is what makes Kool Aid 'sour', and it is sold at far higher prices as 'sour salt' in some grocery stores. Kilo bags are usually available from a home brew supplier, for 10-15 dollars or so.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Does Moen Have Lifetime Warranty? Product Benefits and Coverage Explained​

By George Orwell UpdatedNovember 12, 2023

Does Moen Have Lifetime Warranty?
Yes, Moen offers a lifetime warranty on their faucets for the original consumer purchaser.
This warranty guarantees that the faucets will be leak- and drip-free.
The warranty extends to homeowners for as long as they own their home, and for non-homeowners, the warranty period is 5 years from the original date of purchase.
Moen will provide free replacement parts to fix any leaks or drips during the warranty period, as long as proof of purchase is provided.
The warranty does not cover defects or damages caused by non-genuine Moen parts, installation errors, product abuse, product misuse, or certain cleaners.
Labor charges, installation, repair or replacement costs, and indirect, incidental or consequential damages are not covered.

Warranty Coverage For Moen Products​

Moen, a reputable manufacturer of faucets and bathroom fixtures, offers a comprehensive warranty that guarantees their products to be leak- and drip-free for the lifetime of the original consumer purchaser. This warranty reflects Moen’s commitment to producing high-quality and durable products that can withstand the test of time.

That is a great warranty! No I didn't know that. Good to know @Ironman ... if one has the receipt...:(;) . I suppose I could go look in the file and see.

trevj

Ultra Member
That is a great warranty! No I didn't know that. Good to know @Ironman ... if one has the receipt...:(;) . I suppose I could go look in the file and see.
Ugh. My battery crapped out the week after the Ex had cleaned all the 'garbage' from the glovebox of the truck. Like the Warranty paperwork and receipt...

I got into the habit of sticking receipts and paperwork into plastic bags and taping them to, say, my shop Vac, or stapling same under the kitchen sink, for faucets and such. Saves trying to be as organized as some are, and I am not! :)

John Conroy

Premium Member
I've got a house full of Moen single handle faucets. I just take an old cartridge to Home Depot and they give me a free replacement. Just talk to anyone in the plumbing department and they'll grab one for you out of their secret stash. 30 years in this house and never paid for one yet.

ChazzC

KwikSet has a similar warranty on their residential lock sets, but don’t need a receipt since most homes aren’t built by the owner. Plus AFAIK the warranty is truly forever: you don’t need to be the original owner.

trevj

Ultra Member
KwikSet has a similar warranty on their residential lock sets, but don’t need a receipt since most homes aren’t built by the owner. Plus AFAIK the warranty is truly forever: you don’t need to be the original owner.
You should watch a few lockpicking videos on YouTube about the KwikSet stuff. It may stop you from bothering to lock the doors... Jess sayin'...

Mind, that covers an awful large segment of the locks out there... Many have some really gross security defects built in to them...

Bandit

Super User
The big problem an't the lock sometimes, its the bean stack, cardboard, bull sh?! door frame!!! A 2 year old could kick them down! (Well maybe a really big 2 year old).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Moen has always looked after me no questions asked. Just go in to the plumbing shop, hand them the old cartridge, they hand you a new one. Not even any paper trail needed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You should watch a few lockpicking videos on YouTube about the KwikSet stuff. It may stop you from bothering to lock the doors... Jess sayin'...

Please don't leave your door unlocked. The trouble is a police report that says you didn't lock the door and an insurance denial.

FWIW, I think the best insurance is a good security system and cameras. But you still have to lock the doors even if they are a kids toy to a thief.

mickeyf

I needed a Moen cartridge, went to Andrew Sheret Pluming in Victoria with my old one a month or so ago, asked how much, they said $2.25 handling fee. I had expected to pay many $. Couple of weeks later a took another to them in Duncan, asked how much, they said "Nothing". I mentioned the fee in Victoria, they said "Not here". In both cases I was happy enough.

trevj

Ultra Member
Please don't leave your door unlocked. The trouble is a police report that says you didn't lock the door and an insurance denial.

FWIW, I think the best insurance is a good security system and cameras. But you still have to lock the doors even if they are a kids toy to a thief.
Around here, my best 'insurance' policy, has been to be seen with a very short, very black, 12 gauge shotgun, as a normal workaday tool in my presence.

The tweakers and crackheads I have dealt with, apparently told their friends, because we have had... few issues.

I watched one guy spend thirty minutes wandering around our place exploring before I lit the car up with a fairly bright hand held flashlight (which got a reaction on par with what I would have expected from two people hitting the actual ceiling in the car!).
He saw exactly how big the muzzle was, as I changed hands and offered him a phone to call ANYBODY that could fix his supposed lack of reliability of his supposedly broken gas gauge!

Not been bothered since.. Dunno why...

And, to be fair, I did not recommend leaving the door unlocked, I stated that if you were relying upon a Kwik-Set lock for security, you might just as well have left it so!

I have a large river running through a large property. As well as access to a LOT of Crown Land. But a brick or two, and a hockey bag, well, they might come in to play some day...

In the meantime, I hope that thought makes the potential ripoff scum shudder a wee bit...