First post, sort of.

djberta

Premium Member
I joined here a couple years ago but never posted. Ran in to Dabbler on the hobby machinist forum and figured I should at least have a presence here on the local forum.

I am currently split between Airdrie and Leduc. Changed careers at 50+ last year and took a big leap in moving. The market around Calgary is unreal. So I lived in our rv from may to oct, with plans to stay in the rv over winter. Some thing I was not really ready to do. We found a house we could afford as we would need to own both homes at the same time. We found a bank foreclosure that we could afford, with some real issues in Airdrie. I am an electrician by trade. So New job, career and a top to bottom house reno to deal with. When it rains it pours.

I now have several lathes and a mill. First lathe is my hand made gingery lathe that I made when I was a teen, still have it, likely have it till I am no longer here as I have a lot of pride in making it. Second is a busybee 9x20 (2006). Third is a standard modern ultilathe 9 inch. Mill is a rongfu 30. I have been sort of machining things for some time, but I have no formal training. Self taught with most guidance from books and videos. I have experience casting aluminum and 3d printing, among many hobbies.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We
I joined here a couple years ago but never posted. Ran in to Dabbler on the hobby machinist forum and figured I should at least have a presence here on the local forum.

I am currently split between Airdrie and Leduc. Changed careers at 50+ last year and took a big leap in moving. The market around Calgary is unreal. So I lived in our rv from may to oct, with plans to stay in the rv over winter. Some thing I was not really ready to do. We found a house we could afford as we would need to own both homes at the same time. We found a bank foreclosure that we could afford, with some real issues in Airdrie. I am an electrician by trade. So New job, career and a top to bottom house reno to deal with. When it rains it pours.

I now have several lathes and a mill. First lathe is my hand made gingery lathe that I made when I was a teen, still have it, likely have it till I am no longer here as I have a lot of pride in making it. Second is a busybee 9x20 (2006). Third is a standard modern ultilathe 9 inch. Mill is a rongfu 30. I have been sort of machining things for some time, but I have no formal training. Self taught with most guidance from books and videos. I have experience casting aluminum and 3d printing, among many hobbies.
Welcome. Nice to have you on board.

djberta

Premium Member
Welcome from NE Calgary. I'm also running a 9" Utilathe and RF30 clone.
Nice, the rf30 has been solid for me. I'm in the process of pulling mine apart at this time to move it from one basement to another. The 9" ultilathe I got last week. I am super impressed with it. Cleaning it and checking it over is all I have done so far, it is 208 3 phase so I have not run it. The fit and finish is leaps and bounds over my 9x20. I hope to have the 9" ultilathe moved in to my basement in the coming weeks.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Welcome to the forum. Best of luck with the renovations and the machine move. I have a 9” utilathe and love it. Only lathe I have ever owned or used other than a brake lathe and that is not the same.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have 9" Utilathe headstock, apron and other misc. parts should you need to replace something.

BTB - Where did you find your 9" Utilathe? They aren't that common around here.

Last edited:

GaryE

Welcome from Prince Edward County, ON. Best of luck with the reno! I started my (rather significant) reno last October and we should be ready to move in in early June. Hope all goes well for you with the new job and house!