• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

First milling project.

darrin1200

Darrin
Got to use my milling attachment yesterday.
When I got rid of the little Taig lathe, I kept the milling attachment that was with it. I made T-nut for the compound slide, from a chunk of steel in my bin, using my portable and files.

I know it’s only a chunk of hdpe, but I needed a new insert foot for the leg on our Murphy bed.
Not a difficult project, but fun.
The fins were copied from the original, and were intended to act as a means of keeping the foot in the square tube. Unfortunately this fins were to stiff, and the foot ended wedging halfway in and breaking.

I made a second one without fins. I realized the square tube had round corners. So I made the insert portion of the foot to the exact hole size (-.010”), and left the corners square. This caused the perfect, press in, friction fit. Sorry, no pictures of the second one.

It worked well, but I’m not sure how solid the setup will be when I start milling metal. More incentive for a mill, but it works. I have to make a few pen clips in the next couple of week, we’ll see how the mill attachment helps.

34DE4E63-65C3-40B4-A30E-8D03F6DE5E73.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks very interesting.

Please tell us a little more about the components of that "milling" setup and how it all works. I'm very curious.

darrin1200

Darrin
Looks very interesting.

Please tell us a little more about the components of that "milling" setup and how it all works. I'm very curious.
The milling attachment is for the Taig micro lathe.
1220 Milling Attachment or on Amazon.ca for about $80CAD.
combined with the Taig milling vice
1225Milling Vice

The vice has two Allen screws that travel through the aluminum body, to attach to the T-slots on the Taig Cross-slide. I just shaped a block to fit my compound slide, in place of the QCTP.
It has about 2" of vertical travel. I don't think it would be solid enough to mill large steel blocks, but for the aluminum, bronze and the small steel pieces I want to work, it should be fine.

These came with the little lathe I just got rid of. You could could probably set this up for about $120 off amazon.
You could get one, a little more robust on Amazon, but it would be double the cost. This was the cheapest I found, from India
For me this, is just a temp fix until I save up the funds to get a small mill, possible a CX600.

IMG_3509.jpg IMG_3510.jpg

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The milling attachment is for the Taig micro lathe.
1220 Milling Attachment or on Amazon.ca for about $80CAD.
combined with the Taig milling vice
1225Milling Vice

I had made something similar but not as rigid as yours and I was able to do aluminum quite well, I never tried any steel, but I think light cuts on small stuff you'd be ok. I like the setup the vise is so cute and looks like its a pretty quick swap nice work!