• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

First milling project completed.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its a custom scope mounting rail for a handgun. Just need to paint it up but am relatively pleased with my new to me machine and am learning lots.

Attachments

• 20200630_144346.jpg
    20200630_144346.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200630_144307.jpg
    20200630_144307.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I clamped the piece in the vise vertically and used a homemade cutter to get the right radius.

Attachments

• 20200630_150154.jpg
    20200630_150154.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Nice work!! Did you come up with the milling boring bar or see it somewhere? Seems familiar for some reason.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That's pretty darn good for a first mill project!! You're light years ahead of me.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have made others similar to that one in the past but that particular one was made for another project from the Machinist Workshop magazine. Its pretty light duty but if if one is careful with not talking too heavy of a cut it does fine.
Nice work!! Did you come up with the milling boring bar or see it somewhere? Seems familiar for some reason.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Awesome job on the dove-tails. I built a bunch of rifle scope mounts for some Red Dot's (vintage, before the turn of the century lever guns) last winter but went the easy route and used a length of Picatinny rail that I had and cut it to lengths about the same as you show.
I thought about making the dovetail bases as you did but eventually decided that $20 worth of Pickatiny was the way to go.

Weaver does make a "barrel pinch " scope mount for pistols but they aren't readily available in this country because "no handgun hunting" limits their usage.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome job on the dove-tails. I built a bunch of rifle scope mounts for some Red Dot's (vintage, before the turn of the century lever guns) last winter but went the easy route and used a length of Picatinny rail that I had and cut it to lengths about the same as you show.
I thought about making the dovetail bases as you did but eventually decided that $20 worth of Pickatiny was the way to go.

Weaver does make a "barrel pinch " scope mount for pistols but they aren't readily available in this country because "no handgun hunting" limits their usage.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes my first mount was actually a store bought one made for a shot gun and it was okay but I figured i needed a milling project and my shop made one fits the radius of the gun perfect. This too was for a laser mount but just on an air pistol.