First 'complex' part designed

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I received my gear cutters last week and I thought that with my new 3D printer I'd like to design a holder for them.
Drew this up in Fusion simply because I found a tutorial on how to design tool holders.
It was a bit tricky because the 'Arrange' feature is disabled for hobbyist so I had to manually arrange the slots instead of letting the program auto arrange them across the face of the part.
I have since tried to replicate in Atom 3D and I'm a bit stumped.
Screenshot 2023-12-18 121602.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It was a bit tricky because the 'Arrange' feature is disabled for hobbyist so I had to manually arrange the slots
Sheesh, that's rather an important type of command to disable. I assume hobbyist means free or very low cost?
What does one have to pay to get their 'regular functionality' these days, or is that a loaded question?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Sheesh, that's rather an important type of command to disable. I assume hobbyist means free or very low cost?
What does one have to pay to get their 'regular functionality' these days, or is that a loaded question?
After doing some research I have likely misunderstood its purpose. I was thinking about arrange in PowerPoint which lets a person arrange objects around midline’s etc.
The arrange function in F360 arranges components in a flat position for manufacturing. Imagine a bunch of parts that get made out of a flat sheet of plywood. The arrange function places them on the sheet in the most compact arrangement.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
After doing some research I have likely misunderstood its purpose. I was thinking about arrange in PowerPoint which lets a person arrange objects around midline’s etc.
The arrange function in F360 arranges components in a flat position for manufacturing. Imagine a bunch of parts that get made out of a flat sheet of plywood. The arrange function places them on the sheet in the most compact arrangement.
David I think you want the Pattern command.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks John, I think you are right.
In Vectric it's also pattern.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I managed to draw this in Alibre last night. Was pretty easy once I figured out the workflow.
But the print result was not what I expected.
I sliced it top side on the print bed and it sliced fine with no errors.
All that printed was supports for the cavities.
I wonder if printing it top side up would be better?

Attachments

• gear_cutter_box_top.png
    gear_cutter_box_top.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 2
  • gear_cutter_box_bottom.png
    gear_cutter_box_bottom.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 2

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’d put a bottom on the box and print it upright. I mean bottom on the plate. Let the slicer figure out a minimal infill. 10% 15%

I dislike supports they are often such a pain.
Thanks John, I’ll try that.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I managed to draw this in Alibre last night. Was pretty easy once I figured out the workflow.
But the print result was not what I expected.
I sliced it top side on the print bed and it sliced fine with no errors.
All that printed was supports for the cavities.
I wonder if printing it top side up would be better?
Send me the Alibre drawing and I'll take a look at it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Love it @David_R8, easy to see a very clear benefit to owning a 3D printer there. My gears are all stacked on top of each other in a big cone. It's a pain to grab the one I want. A nice gear storage rack like that would come in sooooo handy. I had thought of making a rack out of wood in a. Butcherblock type arrangement of Planks cut to each gear size.

I thought I already asked this but don't see my question above.

Can that stock part from thingaverse be modified to customize the slot size for each gear?

And can the base design be modified to put a recessed tooth count on a spot in front of each gear for convenient identification? Maybe even fill the recesses in with contrasting paint afterward? I can't really see doing that with filament because of the waste, but plain old recessed letters would be very cool. Maybe even a bigger header that says "Lathe Change Gears" on front. The family would prolly appreciate that when I am gone and they are selling.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Love it @David_R8, easy to see a very clear benefit to owning a 3D printer there. My gears are all stacked on top of each other in a big cone. It's a pain to grab the one I want. A nice gear storage rack like that would come in sooooo handy. I had thought of making a rack out of wood in a. Butcherblock type arrangement of Planks cut to each gear size.

I thought I already asked this but don't see my question above.

Can that stock part from thingaverse be modified to customize the slot size for each gear?

And can the base design be modified to put a recessed tooth count on a spot in front of each gear for convenient identification? Maybe even fill the recesses in with contrasting paint afterward? I can't really see doing that with filament because of the waste, but plain old recessed letters would be very cool. Maybe even a bigger header that says "Lathe Change Gears" on front. The family would prolly appreciate that when I am gone and they are selling.
Take this for what it's worth John as I'm a complete noob at this. In theory yes a stock design from Thingaverse could be modified but I have never tried it.
Adding lettering would be easy, I haven't tried yet mind you.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Take this for what it's worth John as I'm a complete noob at this. In theory yes a stock design from Thingaverse could be modified but I have never tried it.
Adding lettering would be easy, I haven't tried yet mind you.

No problem David. If you are a noob, then I am a noobs noob!

I'm just gauging what the potential is. At some point, I either need to buy one and dive in, or punt for another year. This might be the year. I'm getting so close.......

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
No problem David. If you are a noob, then I am a noobs noob!

I'm just gauging what the potential is. At some point, I either need to buy one and dive in, or punt for another year. This might be the year. I'm getting so close.......
Honestly John, having one is a game changer for me. I initially bought a printer to make the printed parts for my CNC router. Printed two more sets of parts for local folks. Since then it's printed scores of useful shop stuff like the collet rack I posted. Zero CAD skills needed for that.