• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Fine feed slipping???

thriller007

On the cx601 when i try to lower the quill with the fine feed engaged it kinda works sometimes and then other times does not. The worm and wheel look ok to me. If I hold the brass gear in my hand and turn the handle it will slip a bit but there is definitely resistance. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 3B200255-3F8E-4E7D-8F56-30AD34F0441C.jpeg
    3B200255-3F8E-4E7D-8F56-30AD34F0441C.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1A2065C9-E6F2-436C-9DA7-422FF02947AA.jpeg
    1A2065C9-E6F2-436C-9DA7-422FF02947AA.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
"sometimes"? As in the quill being in different states of extension? Does applying more feed eventually get it moving?

Last edited:

thriller007

"sometimes"? As in the quill being in different states of extension? Does applying more feed eventually get it moving?
The straight cut gear on the shaft that intersects with the quill looks to be in good shape as well. And yes applying more feed generally will get the fine feed going again

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sheared off drive pin either between the brass gear and its shaft or the worm and its shaft?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have a totally different mill but mine can slip as well. I think when you tighten the fine feed lock knob there is only a friction connection to the fine feed rather than a solid mechanical connection.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I wasn't that happy with mine either that was the main reason I went with the 4 axis dro but saying that a cheap I gauge would give you more precise readings

thriller007

Yes it is just a friction fit. I did clean it up on the friction surfaces and it seems to work ok about 90 percent of the time. Possibly there is a slightly worn worm and when it hits just the right spot I have the issue.

kylemp

All the smaller machines use friction clutches as far as I know. Take it apart and clean it up, then use an adhesion promoting lubricant maybe. I know that they use them for automotive, I think in differentials so maybe a heavy gear oil would be better for that exact spot.