File hardness testers

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Man, I hadn't realized these were so spendy. I never really had a prior need & figured they might be a bit subjective, but at this price, not sure I want to try. Are there any other options like maybe what an old school machinist would have used that could be lurking on Ebay alonside rusting micrometers? Something short of full blown testing equipment?
My friend built one of those projects from some hobby machinist mag or similar - some kind of ball drop electronic gizmo. Looked interesting for bigger stuff but I'm wanting it for smaller, odd shaped stuff. I probably only need about 1/5 of those file lengths haha

1690041789978.png

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
eBay is less than half the price.

And I’ve seen complete Rockwell test units go for less.

Attachments

• IMG_6604.png
    IMG_6604.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks. I should have spent a bit more time checking. There might be some clones in the mix but $100-ish for the so called popular brand is what I kind of had in my brain.
What is with KBC prices sometimes?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
sometimes?

my sense is they are usually not outrageously so, like with those test files, but are usually toward the top.

Last edited:

fixerup

Super User
I had to look them up, never seen or heard this type of file. It would be a handy tool to have. Better than just using a ordinary file and guessing between hard and soft. Useful if you do your own hardening experiment.
Thanks for posting

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Decided on what appears to be the brand name Tsubosan from Japan via Amazon & free shipping. I'll keep you posted. It's hopefully better than what I'm using now which is nothing.

1690127723458.png

Everett

Super User
I have a set of Tsubosan files like that, picked them up a few years ago off eBay brand new, delivered under a hundred bucks. Well worth the money, especially as I get a lot of my Scraptonium, Unknownium and Mysterium steel alloys from scrap bins and auto parts. Helps to avoid unnecessarily destroying tool bits without having to anneal absolutely everything, lol :D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well worth the money, especially as I get a lot of my Scraptonium, Unknownium and Mysterium steel alloys from scrap bins and auto parts. Helps to avoid unnecessarily destroying tool bits without having to anneal absolutely everything, lol :D

Now $95 with free prime shipping.

Thanks for the opinion @Everett. I ordered a set based on your comments. As a professional scrap diver, I can't begin to recount all the thousands of times I needed these. Cheapest Hardness Tester I'll ever own.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice deal. My amazon link to those is $95.77 plus $5.85 for delivery

I take it that you don't have prime.

When covid arrived, we had to ramp up our on-line buying so we decided that Prime would save us some cash over the long haul. It was a very good decision that I do not regret.

I do wish it never happened though. The impact of the overall shift to on-line buying on local businesses and the Ontario economy was horrendous.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Wife has prime. Most things I order come within 2-3 days anyway same as prime. If I need something guaranteed I'll send her the link and she'll order it for me, but it's rare I "need" something yesterday. With delivery fees added on to a lot of things lately I've been sending her more and more things though for the free prime shipping......