• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Filament Strength?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Anyone printing carbon fiber? Is it actually stronger? Lots of prices and types on Amazon... which?

I've printed a bunch of speed handles for the vise. 3/4" hex handle. They work great for positioning the jaw but will break if you try to tighten up much. I reprinted them with 5 perimeters and 55% infill. They are stronger now but you can still break them. I used PETG and then tried ABS. They don't seem much different in strength. Any ideas? is carbon fiber stronger in practice?

60421298334__F9D1F57E-B6EE-4DFA-AECD-7BE5FE28D224.JPG

60445957424__42C8FC69-D339-49D7-82D8-2953551BF8BD.JPG

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Still don’t have a working printer or I would try some. Will be following if an answer ever happens along though

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm the last guy to ask about anything 3DP but from what I gathered from RC guys making components, this seems to sum it up (higher modulus but not necessarily much higher tensile/flexure strength). But products are changing all the time so this could be old news. Some guys complained that the CF fill required diddling the printer settings because of the (inert & non-melting) carbon fill. I also read about some new CF print products coming out that looked better but I think those were the resin system.
https://www.proto-pasta.com/pages/carbon-fiber-pla
The short answer is that this filament isn't "stronger," rather, it is more rigid. Increased rigidity from the carbon fiber means increased structural support but decreased flexibility, making our Carbon Fiber PLA an ideal material for frames, supports, shells, propellers, tools... really anything not expected (or desired) to bend.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
I didn't notice improved strength in the petg I had. I did notice alot of stringing which I've never been able to get rid of. My filament of choice right now is PC+ from iprint3d (temp closed according to website). I've got CF PLA, but I've never printed it. It looks cool though especially in the t-rex skull I seen printed with it. If you are looking for a filament which is strong, prints well, doesn't string try PC+ (polycarbonate). I like it better than ABS since it doesn't pull off bed, better than PLA for rigidity, nylon forget about (sucks moisture from air instantly, high heat for bed and nozzle), and I hate petg (never had ANY luck with it, and yet a friend has great success).

PC+ prints at 265/85

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
just looked at what your printing. I think you need to beef up the handle with some steel. it won't matter what you print that in, the handle will break off in every case. Sticking through the base into the handle would cure the issue.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have one printer, PETG strings like a bugger, printer right next to it, flawless. Heat, retraction, speed. One or a combo of those affecting it.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
just looked at what your printing. I think you need to beef up the handle with some steel. it won't matter what you print that in, the handle will break off in every case. Sticking through the base into the handle would cure the issue.

Good idea Colten. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom O

Ultra Member
One of these days I’ll have to try some of these new fangled filament. My printer is a Older Makerbot 2x Back then they just recommended the 3 types of filament it does make you wonder though.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The strength tests that CNC Kitchen did seem to indicate that PLA is stronger than any of them. Glass infill fiber is supposed to be stronger, but I haven't seen any tests yet...