• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Faulty die or am I missing something?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a Irwin/Hanson tap and die set and for the most, I part like it. I only occasionally use bits and pieces of it and haven't even used all dies and taps of it yet. The other day I went to use a 1/4-20 NC die and the video shows what I found.

I contacted the company and was told it's an adjustable die and not a warranty claim.

What am I missing?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@DPittman - What is the thread pitch of the die? Is it actually 20 Tpi or is it 18? If it measures 18 it is a 5/16 -18 and is stamped wrong -

I will go get an adjustable die and be right back

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I would grab a pitch gauge first take photo, if the adjuster screw makes it bigger (dunno never had one) then remove it but I thought they clamped the material, then call back customer service ask for superior and say you will be shipping it back for warranty inspection if required but just ask if they would rather send one with the few pictures you’ve taken of discrepancies as proof of error. Always call back and ask for a superior or supervisor if you don’t get the service you want.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Prob a 5/16 mislabled. stuff happens.
Yup that is exactly what happened!
Now I have two 5/16-24 dies and no 1/4-20 die.
I can't imagine that I'm the only one that got a mislabeled die and I would have hoped the company would have been more aware and forward with the issue.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I would have hoped the company...

Irwin hasn't been a manufacturer for a long time... if ever. As a reseller, they could have taken the high road, and sent you a die, but... They've been a margin based outfit for a long time, and even as few as 5 years ago their quality was top rate, even if they were just rebranders/resellers.

I'm taking your experience as a cautionary tale, and be more careful with Irwin stuff in future.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
That's some crappy customer service not owning a mistake!
u
Yup that is exactly what happened!
Now I have two 5/16-24 dies and no 1/4-20 die.
I can't imagine that I'm the only one that got a mislabeled die and I would have hoped the company would have been more aware and forward with the issue.
Take pictures and send it to them people who work trere are probably not to competant

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Irwin hasn't been a manufacturer for a long time... if ever. As a reseller, they could have taken the high road, and sent you a die, but... They've been a margin based outfit for a long time, and even as few as 5 years ago their quality was top rate, even if they were just rebranders/resellers.

I'm taking your experience as a cautionary tale, and be more careful with Irwin stuff in future.
I have several different sets of various Irwin/Hanson taps and dies, and for the most part have been pleased with them. One must always consider the price paid for the product versus the alternatives and in this light I chose Irwin/Hanson in the past and will likely still in the future. Win some, lose some I guess.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well after a little bit of pushing on Irwin/Hanson , they have decided to send me a replacement die. I can't imagine that they didn't have a run of these mislabeled dies or that i was the only case.
I honestly think the representative did not fully understand the issue when he first brushed me off. But a new die is on its way to me apparently so all is well.