Failed print blob mess help

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I had a failed print and the filament ended up encasing the print heat wires etc.

I’m using a heat gun to try to gently melt it and wipe it off with brushes pliers etc. the print head won’t heat up - it starts to then a light starts flashing and it cools back down. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_5097.jpeg
    IMG_5097.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5096.jpeg
    IMG_5096.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 29

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I had a failed print and the filament ended up encasing the print heat wires etc.

I’m using a heat gun to try to gently melt it and wipe it off with brushes pliers etc. the print head won’t heat up - it starts to then a light starts flashing and it cools back down. Any advice?
I'm guessing the thermistor wire is buggered either from the blob itself or trying to remove it. Had that happen to me on the Carbon. Had to remove the head and wires and separate them with the heat gun. The nozzle was fine and thermistors are cheap. Annoying but fixable.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Yep - the thermistor is broken/disconnected and probably the heater cartridge is damaged too.

Replacements are $10 for a set from Amazoom.

Can you remove the tip or is that welded in place? It also looks like there's some physical damage to the grey shroud.

Bandit

Super User
Not sure what extruder that is, if you can get the heating block assembly off/out of the extruder it will be easier. Anyway, use a soldering iron on the heating block to get it hot, use a wooden pencil, piece of small dia. wood, plastic scraper to carefully remove melted filiment, the tip of the soldering iron will also melt and remove pieces. Wiping the hot mess with COTTON cloth can help remove the last of it, unless really burned on. A dual wattage iron works well and faster? too.
An ohm meter across the thermistor wires will tell you if fried/ broken wire, possibly why the flashing light, is what mine does, thermistor controls temp of heater cartridge and stops runaway. Needs to see thermistor complete circuit or will not put power to heater cartridge, some early printers didn't have this and sometimes did a runaway and burnt the house down. Ohm meter across heater cartridge wires will tell you if also fried/broken wires.
Anyway I am still figuring this here new fangled corntrappian out, G code, slicers, stl, stp,gst, gps, just show me where the oil goes, set the valves and we'll be good to go!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
While using the heat gun I inadvertently wrecked the little dial showing filament movement. I printed a new one in 2 colours to see if I’ve got it working again. Printer looks ok, there is some filament lurking on the head under the rubber boot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 4