• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Ex-Cell-O Right Angle Attachment

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I just noticed . . . Should have been ‘602’ vertical mill.
I never did see this attachment in the years that I was at Ex-Cell-O.
We had a few old ‘Cincinnati‘ horizontals at the Clinton, Ontario plant.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I received the #40 taper shell mill arbor from KBC, installed it into the gear and bearing, and into the right angle attachment. Put in the specified oil, well close enough. It specs A.G.M.A. No. 5EP oil, which is equivalent to ISO VG220, so I put in Shell Omala S2 GX 220 Industrial gear oil, which I use in the Ex-Cell-O gear box.

Had to fiddle around a bit to get it onto the mills spindle, tightened the draw bolt, and then the holding screws. And all good. Hand turned it first, then low gear, then 1000rpm. All good. I put in an end mill just to do a test. And noticed it going in reverse! Ok, no problem, just put the mill in reverse, did the test cut....good! I'm happy.

Attachments

• 20221123_110055.jpg
    20221123_110055.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221123_110252.jpg
    20221123_110252.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221123_113042.jpg
    20221123_113042.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221123_122335.jpg
    20221123_122335.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221123_132523.jpg
    20221123_132523.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221123_132644.jpg
    20221123_132644.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 11

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Looks great, and interesting to find out it just uses a shell mill arbor, and not a custom machined part specific to the head. That's smart engineering. Now I know if I ever stumble across a 40 taper version for my 602 it's easy to swap. And I also know who to message about buying the old r8 one to fit my machine :D.

Thanks for sharing that.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks great, and interesting to find out it just uses a shell mill arbor, and not a custom machined part specific to the head. That's smart engineering. Now I know if I ever stumble across a 40 taper version for my 602 it's easy to swap. And I also know who to message about buying the old r8 one to fit my machine :D.

Thanks for sharing that.
Yes, I was happy that it was just a plain shell mill. I was dreading the thought of making a proprietary unit.

Though Dan, I can now use the old R8 shell mill arbor and attach a 2" indexable milling cutter!!o_O

LenVW

Premium Member
This attachment was probably a product that the Canadian Ex-Cell-O Plant made for the mills.
I remember that the larger assembly plant on Weston Road in London, Ontario did carry out intermittent product development for the 602 verticals as well as large milling heads with carbide cartridges for boring and surface machining.

LenVW

Premium Member
Yes, I was happy that it was just a plain shell mill. I was dreading the thought of making a proprietary unit.

Though Dan, I can now use the old R8 shell mill arbor and attach a 2" indexable milling cutter!!o_O
Do you have a library of documents covering the Ex-Cell-O #602 ?
I was a machinist at their Special Tooling plant in the 1980s.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you have a library of documents covering the Ex-Cell-O #602 ?
I was a machinist at their Special Tooling plant in the 1980s.
Hi Len, I have the owners manual no.52981, that I got when I bought the mill 30 years ago, and I recently downloaded the other manual no. 52672. They seem pretty identical. My machine has "XLO" vertically on the head, vs the other one which says "EX-CELL-O". With 2HP motor, table feed, but no one-shot lube unfortunately.

LenVW

Premium Member
The XLO model was the American version of the 602 Ram Type mill.
All Canadian versions had the full ‘Ex-Cell-O‘ in the casting face of the headstock.

If you are missing anything a guy in Cambridge, near me, rebuilds #602 mills and has access to the remaining Canadian parts inventory.

Roy Weidinger
PRESTON REBUILT MACHINERY
P. 519-240-4676

He is out of the repair shop at times, but, he did have a lady taking messages.
It usually takes a couple calls or messages.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The XLO model was the American version of the 602 Ram Type mill.
All Canadian versions had the full ‘Ex-Cell-O‘ in the casting face of the headstock.

If you are missing anything a guy in Cambridge, near me, rebuilds #602 mills and has access to the remaining Canadian parts inventory.

Roy Weidinger
PRESTON REBUILT MACHINERY
P. 519-240-4676

He is out of the repair shop at times, but, he did have a lady taking messages.
It usually takes a couple calls or messages.
Thanks Len, I'll write that information down.

Is there a difference between the 2 mills?

Last edited:

LenVW

Premium Member
I have heard from other members of the CHMWs that the Canadian version has heavier castings and beefier tables.
A lot of the Canadian versions have 575/3/60 electrics.
The American made are typically 240-480/3/60.