ER40 collet chuck (to MT3 / R8) at KMS Calgary $75

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
ER40 collet chuck (to MT3 / R8) at KMS Calgary $75

They say it has manufacturing defect but the taper spins within less then around a tenth runout. So I am not sure what precision they are going for.

How can it be both MT3 / R8 at the same time Tom?

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I picked up the last R8 set this morning. They had 2 more 15 piece sets with the M3 tapers. They also had mislabeled the set I purchased it so my set was only $50 lol. We will find out this evening if the runout is the same as Tom's

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
These?

Yes. Except I went for MT3 and for 15 piece set.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Welp this Kit is a complete disaster lol. I should have taken a closer look in the store, but I had to get to work in the morning so I was in a bit of a hurry.

The collet holder is not an ER40, but actually an ER25, and to make matters worse, all the collets in the box are all ER32, with the exception of one 3/8” ER25 collet that was preinstalled in the collet holder. Not sure if Tom’s kit is like mine.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Welp this Kit is a complete disaster lol. I should have taken a closer look in the store, but I had to get to work in the morning so I was in a bit of a hurry.

The collet holder is not an ER40, but actually an ER25, and to make matters worse, all the collets in the box are all ER32, with the exception of one 3/8” ER25 collet that was preinstalled in the collet holder. Not sure if Tom’s kit is like mine.

Well, you should return it and before buying make sure to check what is inside of the box - people could have played with the sets on display and moved things around between sets or even stolen parts.

My kit is as I described it - ER40, all collets are ER40 and I checked the ER40 chuck and its fine - the runout is very small - I am not even sure if its the chuck or the spindle.

All collets should be in their protective plastic wrappers - to indicate they are new.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Picked up a set this am. ER 40 with R8 spindle shank.

Tag on set said ER40 with MT3 taper... The set was complete and all collets were in their plastic wrappers. “Machining Fault” was written on the outside of the plastic case with black sharpie.

Unboxed some of it this afternoon. The only thing so far I found “off” was the nut spanner (labelled 55-62) is a bit hard to use to tighten the nut because it does not fit the OD of the nut very well. I think @YotaBota had a similar non-fitting ER nut spanner. I will just machine the proper sized arc onto it - even though it works just fine as is…

The other thing I noticed was the internal drawbar threads are a bit “crusty”. I’ll chase them tomorrow (again, they work as is, just not like I prefer them [yes, I am fussy when it comes to threads…]).

Run-out was < 2-3 tenths ( measured with a cheap DTI ). I’ll break out the good stuff tomorrow to get a better reading…

For $79 all in, I am not complaining.

5709B762-18E3-49D0-B7AA-B4EE1C2FF6DF.jpeg

C5588254-BF98-4FF4-9DAC-3020C62185F4.jpeg

4194C8ED-F953-4CCD-84F1-9B5B077ACCF3.jpeg

831C9510-9042-4770-9F3C-EE0464650463.jpeg

A367EA27-AFF9-46C0-A0C4-5307F61BE152.jpeg

AFBA55DD-10BB-4A1A-8EA8-C3297FB9E10B.jpeg

D7094A00-971A-4AC8-8773-4106BDA67F50.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah just like my set except I have the ER40 to MT3. Tested it in the spindle of mill with MT3 & internal taper.

I even asked whatever collets are OK and the lady said it was just the chuck - so worth it even if the chuck was garbage.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
In either case your purchase was one heck of a deal. To put that into perspective this set of metric 'AA' series Size 32 collets, Collet Chuck and wrench, from three different suppliers cost me $234.84. If shipping had been free it would have been closer to $135 but because of the weight transport was not cheap.

I chose ER32 because the largest collet is a tad bigger than the hole through my harmonic drive which will be the 4th axis.

ColleteChuck.jpg

So yes. That ER40 set is a real score!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
That’s an excellent buy. Shows you the mark up on tools too. Probably selling at cost.

agreed. I challenged a price once from Sowa saying it was 4x the price in the US (even after exchange). Without missing a beat the response was "we'll match that". $#(@^%

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
In either case your purchase was one heck of a deal. To put that into perspective this set of metric 'AA' series Size 32 collets, Collet Chuck and wrench, from three different suppliers cost me $234.84. If shipping had been free it would have been closer to $135 but because of the weight transport was not cheap.

I chose ER32 because the largest collet is a tad bigger than the hole through my harmonic drive which will be the 4th axis.

So yes. That ER40 set is a real score!

These are harder to find *imperial* collets. It is easy to source metric AA or AAA collets from China but imperial? This is actually the only full set of imperial collets in ER style I now own.

Even metric AA collets in ER40 size from China are not cheap - with shipping at least $10. I actually got some to complete metric set.

The are almost certainly imperial AA. Good enough for manual work (well for me anyways).

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Chased the drawbar threads today - solved that “problem”.

Tested the 1/4”, 1/2” and the 3/4” collet for runout (the most commonly used in my shop). I inserted the tooling (carbide end mills in this case) like I would normally use them. No specific attention to detail. The 1/4” end mill had a shank runout of ~2 tenths; the 1/2” came in at ~3 tenths; and the 3/4” was about 4 tenths. I would not be surprised if the numbers could be reduced by “bumping” the end mill around and paying more attention to details.

I’ll leave the spanner mod for another time…

Once the Deckel FP3 is up and running, I’ll check the collets in a high quality NMBT40 ER 40 holder (it is either a GS or a Narex - can’t remember which one is the ER 40 holder).

Very happy with the purchase.

Thanks @Tom Kitta for posting the deal!