• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Engraving numbers

Tips/Techniques

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I made myself a marking gauge for laying out sheet metal a while back.

I set the gauge just by holding it up to a ruler but wish i could figure out a good way to mark the rod with measurements. I could cut slits/lines using a slitting saw in the mill but have no way of marking numbers.

20230109_154400.jpg Some sort of laser engraving is the best way I think of achieving this but that is not within my capabilities. Any ideas?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You could acid etch them I think but I have zero knowledge or experience on how to do that.
Oh ya I sort of knew a little bit about that process a hundred years ago when I made a few knives. I never did any acid etching myself but read about it. I think that might be doable, I'll have to look into that again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Perry

Ultra Member
I noticed on kijiji (In Calgary) there are a few home based laser egraving services listed. Might be reasonable pricing. I believe you need a fiber laser to engrave the metal.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
You could acid etch them I think but I have zero knowledge or experience on how to do that.
Aren't you supposed to now suggest laser marking them? Or is cutting things(bodies) in half more interesting?

;)

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes mine was loosely based on theirs.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't lines at a known increment be more useful ?...like how small would the numbers have to be to fit on a 5mm flat with a ticky line, gonna need a magnifying glass!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Two ideas.
A small number punch set just stamp them in to the metal.

Cnc milling … you could mail it to me.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't lines at a known increment be more useful ?...like how small would the numbers have to be to fit on a 5mm flat with a ticky line, gonna need a magnifying glass!
Yes the numbers would have to be pretty small.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Two ideas.
A small number punch set just stamp them in to the metal.

Cnc milling … you could mail it to me.
The stamps would have to be pretty small but even so I'm not sure I want to stamp the flat as that is where my tightening brass screw rides against. Maybe that wouldn't matter. It's useable as is I guess.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Only about 5mm wide.
a section from one of these, with some CA glue and tiny rivets

My Engravograph can do 1/16” high numbers but getting the scale exact would take some fiddling.

eotrfish

Super User
Some sort of laser engraving is the best way I think of achieving this but that is not within my capabilities. Any ideas?
Have you considered using an Etch-O-Matic. Pretty simple to use - only problem would be making the letters and/or numbers small enough on the etch film.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'd just leave it as is, and set the offset with a 6" scale, by setting the point in the etching of the distance you want and tightening the nut with the face against the end of the scale.

A fiber marking laser will do a nice job of that though, but I would have done it in reverse order and marked it before drilling for the point as now you have to be precise in the setup of the laser to the tip you've created for accuracy. Outsourcing that to to someone who normally etches yeti mugs and live, laugh, love keychains, might not get the results you desire......

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@eotrfish
Have you considered using an Etch-O-Matic. Pretty simple to use - only problem would be making the letters and/or numbers small enough on the etch film.

Do you have one? Any examples? Any one in Calgary have one?

Is anyone etching with salt water and power supplies? @Crosche were you experimenting with that?